Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-04-23 10:52:39

jheri
Extremely Tall
Height: 190 cm

Re: Real Life /r/tall

KCClark wrote:
jheri wrote:

On a trip last month I was stuck in coach.  It was a trip I was paying for myself and I figured I could deal with the three hours.  The very short woman in front of me reclined her seat.  I asked her to not do that as it trapped me and she told me she paid for the seat and it was her right to recline it.  I kicked her often enough just to make it annoying.

Back in '95, I literally had to bounce myself down into a seat on a flight from LA to Phoenix (thank goodness it was a short flight).  My knees were planted into the seat back and my back had the seatback cushion compressed.  I was in pain.  When we got airborne, the women in front of me tried to put her seat back but as soon as she hit the seat release, she lurched forward.  My knees felt much better.  She tried pushing back but was going nowhere.  I told her my femurs were stronger than her muscles. 

I've carried volleyball kneepads with me on every flight ever since just in case I need some cushion between the seatback and my knees.  I've used them once but that time the stewardess took pity on me and put me in an empty first class seat just before we took off.

That is a brilliant idea!

#27 2013-04-23 13:02:35

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

jheri wrote:
"Bad News" Bob wrote:

Here's a site I found filled with Great Big Stuff. Some of which I would love to buy, i.e., the chess set.

:-)

The guy who made my good bike sent this.  A new bike from the US for people starting at 198 cm ..  too big for me.  I remember that Spiker likes bikes, but I think his was a recumbent.

http://dirtysixer.wordpress.com

My mountain bike is a 34" which fits me perfectly, I don't think I'd like one any taller.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#28 2013-04-23 13:11:45

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Height: 5'11"
Website

I don't know much about bikes, not being a rider, but I would think the length of the legs are the biggest (longest) factor. I thought women probably have longer legs (proportionately), than men and the reason for my question. Thanks.

Last edited by Sooner (2013-04-23 13:12:22)

Sooner

#29 2013-04-23 15:02:12

jheri
Extremely Tall

Sooner wrote:

I don't know much about bikes, not being a rider, but I would think the length of the legs are the biggest (longest) factor. I thought women probably have longer legs (proportionately), than men and the reason for my question. Thanks.

I probably know more about bikes than I should from when I had a custom frame built to my measurements.  There are a lot of measurements on a bike.  Usually bike frames are measured by the vertical seat tube length.  This is from the bottom bracket (the part that houses the axle that connects the pedal cranks) to the top of the frame where the post that holds the seat goes.  Normal measurements are from about 48 to 62cm for road bikes, but mountain bikes, hybrids and other types can be different and are usually shorter.  There are a lot of rules of thumb, but one is about 70% of your crotch to floor measurement.  Your arm length and shoulder width are important and frames can feel very different even with the same basic sizes if the angles are different.  Colleen is 2.00m, but her legs and arms are proportionately long, so she needs a very tall bike.  The problem is the normal materials whip around too much when she puts pressure on the pedals, so they had to use a different type of steel.  I think her frame is something like 71 or 72cm.  Very few people can ride it:-)

The other size that you see is the wheel or tire size.  These get very complicated.  There are 700c tires, but the wheels are usually 622mm in diameter and tires are from about 23 to 38mm in diameter.  So the total diameter of the tire can vary quite a bit.  Most bikes are in the 27 to 29 inch range. I use inches because one type is known as the 29er.  They are mountain bikes that have big tires and wheels that are about 29 inches in total diameter.  That makes a huge difference and if a tall person wants a mountain bike, it is the way to go.  Of course mountain bikes are usually no go for commuting or road riding. 

The 36ers are just plain enormous.  The tires are 36" in diameter and until recently most were not really great for bikes. I went to Flickr for some photos and there is a spot with a few.  Some of them have normal bikes for comparison.  There is one over here.  I think the guy rides it for attention:-)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1622456@N21/pool/?view=lg

Last edited by jheri (2013-04-23 22:46:08)

#30 2013-04-23 15:12:41

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

Wow! Bikes have really progressed since I rode last. I assume you can order them to fit your height, etc, by just interchanging the (parts) parameters to fit your body. 

Same with golf clubs these days. You get fitted for length and your swing speed, etc, etc and the results can be amazing, depending on your skill level.

Sooner

#31 2013-04-23 15:43:37

"Bad News" Bob

Sooner wrote:

Same with golf clubs these days. You get fitted for length and your swing speed, etc, etc and the results can be amazing, depending on your skill level.

Oh, don't get me started on golf, now.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#32 2013-06-02 18:32:19

"Bad News" Bob

The Pros & Cons of being tall.

#33 2013-10-03 00:00:32

jheri
Extremely Tall

In case this is useful.  I have a note from my doctor based on my femur measurement that means I get upgraded to more airline legroom on flights over an hour.  Apparently you can do something similar in the US.  I was told you get a letter of medical necessity from your doctor.  It is usually based on the femur measurement.  Many employers will honor these and will guarantee an upgrade.  So if you have an issue, you may want to try it.

#34 2013-10-03 00:12:29

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

Don't have to worry about that:)

Sooner

Board footer