Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1726 2013-06-08 18:57:32

jheri
Extremely Tall
Height: 190 cm

Re: Weather

A lot of Danes make the trip to Greenland for a vacation.  It is part of the Danish Kingdom, but a few years ago there was a vote for autonomy and it will transfer over time.  The joke is Danes like to visit a place with colder weather in the Summer so they can feel smug:-)

#1727 2013-06-09 14:27:21

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Height: 5'11"
Website

We were bumming around Europe and I remember being on a beach in that area and the water was absolutely freezing- didn't bother them though:)

Sooner

#1728 2013-06-09 17:58:45

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

Sooner wrote:

We were bumming around Europe and I remember being on a beach in that area and the water was absolutely freezing- didn't bother them though:)

Sooner that sounds like when the Canadian 'Snowbirds' come to Myrtle Beach in March, they're out in the water swimming and playing like they were in St. Barts or Martinique, and the locals while being very appreciative of their business look at them like they escaped from an asylum.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#1729 2013-06-09 20:16:58

jheri
Extremely Tall

"Bad News" Bob wrote:
Sooner wrote:

Sooner that sounds like when the Canadian 'Snowbirds' come to Myrtle Beach in March, they're out in the water swimming and playing like they were in St. Barts or Martinique, and the locals while being very appreciative of their business look at them like they escaped from an asylum.

It is too cold for me.  I have a wetsuit - well, a semidry suit technically - for the beach.  It makes me look like a martian, but I don't burn and I stay warm.  A lot of people wear them.

#1730 2013-06-09 22:56:43

"Bad News" Bob

I have a wet suit, which was actually made for me for scuba diving; but I use it for all sorts of other water related activities, e.g. working on my pier, boogie boarding, launching and trailering our boat early and late in the season, and I've even worn it trout fishing.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#1731 2013-06-10 00:40:18

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

Never had one on and  never plan to be in water cold enough to wear one. All my scuba was in the Caribbean.

Sooner

#1732 2013-06-22 14:58:12

jheri
Extremely Tall

I've been in Canada for awhile in Southeast Alberta.  Calgary was struck hard with floods and the waters are headed this way.  I'm a long way above any possible flood stage, but floods are never a good thing for people.  This is normally a very dry area with sreams sometimes completely drying up.

#1733 2013-06-29 21:00:46

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

We had a weak tornado buzz through this week. It dropped hail ranging from pea-sized to golf ball-sized. We also had a few more inches of rain that we do not need and as I type this, I hear thunder and rain starting again. With our luck, when it stops, we won't see rain again until October.

http://jbd.live.mediaspanonline.com/assets/866090/April-Winkeler-storm-photo.jpg

http://jbd.live.mediaspanonline.com/assets/866084/April-Nicole-photo_w250.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#1734 2013-06-29 21:04:10

jheri
Extremely Tall

How much damage does hail like that do?  In Alberta we had hail storms, but they were mostly pea sized.  I've never seen anything that big!

#1735 2013-06-30 11:40:42

Archer
Website

Fortunately, there was not a lot of hail and it did no damage that I know of. This hail was was a bit crumbly. I saw golf ball-sized hail once that was solid as a rock and perfectly round. It came down in huge amounts and was associated with a tornado. That hail actually ruined cars, broke windows and beat holes in wooden siding of homes. It was terrible. The largest hail I ever saw though, was also associated with a tornado and it dropped hail as large as and even larger than soft balls. When they hit pavement, they shattered like glass, They were half buried in the lawn and we dug them up and kept a few in the freezer for a while. I don't ever want to see hail like that again...or the tornado either.

#1736 2013-06-30 18:23:15

"Bad News" Bob

jheri wrote:

How much damage does hail like that do?  In Alberta we had hail storms, but they were mostly pea sized.  I've never seen anything that big!

Jheri, several years ago, while we were still living at High Rock Lake, we had a really bad hail storm blow through. That house had Redwood siding, and an asphalt shingle roof; both needed to be replaced as a result of hail damage. Fortunately I had really good insurance; however, I still had a good deal of out of pocket expenses, because I had to have the Eastern facing side of the house chemically cleaned so that it would match the new siding on the North, South and Western facing sides. The insurance company did not replace the siding on the Eastern side, because it was in the wind shadow, and was undamaged by hail. Bad weather was one of the reasons we decided to move away from the lake; because of the local topography storms seemed to be funneled toward the lake, and we experienced some really bad weather events on a regular basis.

#1737 2013-07-05 05:36:49

Sixft9
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'9"
Website

I get lots of hail claims from around the country for damage to cars.  The hail usually only causes small pucks in the metal but there's usually hundreds of those pucks in a single storm and the body shops tell me it's a nightmare to repair and end up costing thousands to get it right.

#1738 2013-07-06 15:48:23

flatlander
Tall

Between buying our current home and taking posession, a big hail storm came through town.  It punched holes in our vinyl siding and damaged roof vents.  The roof was not damaged enough to replace, but four out of our six neighbours have new shingles now.  My friend who bought a house on the west side of town had hail big enough to break windows and damage her stucco.  I had to mock my sweetheart for getting out of bed in the middle of the night to try and move his vehicle to cover.  He should have been wearing a helmet!

#1739 2013-07-06 18:16:25

"Bad News" Bob

flatlander wrote:

I had to mock my sweetheart for getting out of bed in the middle of the night to try and move his vehicle to cover.  He should have been wearing a helmet!

I've had to dash out in more than one hail storm to move a vehicle; and depending on the size of the hail, and the wind speed, as to whether, or not, I've needed a hat, or a helmet. Pea size hail doesn't really feel any worse than wind blown rain; but for marble size hail you'll want something covering your head, and you won't want to have any exposed skin; still, I've had wind blown rain that hurt worse. It's only when the hail gets larger marble size that your best move is to stay inside until it's passes. We got caught about twenty five miles out on our boat one time by a storm. By the time we saw it on radar the storm had already block our safe route home. So we plotted a course south to the next inlet, and were able to avoid the worst of the storm, but we still managed to reach the marina before the storm had passed. Docking the boat wasn't any greater challenge than usual, because we had done it many times in the dark, but tying off the boat was a painful thing. The hail was nickel to quarter size and was falling hard enough to make the ground look like it had snowed. In retrospect we would have probably been better off heading out to deeper water until the storm had past, but at the time that seemed counter-intuitive.

#1740 2013-07-07 10:42:32

Archer
Website

I got caught in a storm last year while riding the Harley. I expected to get wet, but there was a trace of pea-sized hail in that storm too. I can tell you that rain in the face at 50 or 60 miles per hour stings, but a pea-size hail hitting you on the lip feels like a .22 caliber bullet!

#1741 2013-07-07 20:19:36

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

When those tornadoes hit Okla, some areas had hail the size of softballs.

Sooner

#1742 2013-07-12 02:48:55

"Bad News" Bob

Today was our seventeenth straight day of rain; we are 10" over the average rainfall for July and we're only eleven days into the month. It's so bad in this part of the country that just two hours south of here they've had to cancel a boat race because there's two much water; and now they weather channel says Chantel  may be heading our way. To borrow an old adage: 'when it rains it pours'.

#1743 2013-07-12 10:07:23

jheri
Extremely Tall

"Bad News" Bob wrote:

Today was our seventeenth straight day of rain; we are 10" over the average rainfall for July and we're only eleven days into the month. It's so bad in this part of the country that just two hours south of here they've had to cancel a boat race because there's two much water; and now they weather channel says Chantel  may be heading our way. To borrow an old adage: 'when it rains it pours'.

So amazing that a boat race is rained out...

#1744 2013-07-14 20:00:15

"Bad News" Bob

jheri wrote:

So amazing that a boat race is rained out...

Yeah, that does seem like a contradiction. The problem is, that race is held on the Savannah River, in Augusta, Georgia. There are three reservoirs up stream from Augusta. The normal flow rate coming down the Savannah through Augusta averages 7,000 cubic feet per second; but due to recent rainfall the current flow rate is between 37-40,000 cubic feet per second. Holding a boat on the holding rope, waiting to run is hard enough in normal river current, but the current flow rate is nearly six times normal, and the river is out of it's normal channel right where the boat races are to be held. It's humorous in a way, because two races in California have been postponed this year because there isn't enough water.
-
A little closer to home, it has now rained in varying degrees of fall for twenty straight days.

#1745 2013-07-26 19:54:47

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

This is the most unbelievable weather I have ever experienced in Oklahoma. 81 degrees right now in late July- 4 inches of rain in the last 3 days. Norman got 7 inches last night.

Sooner

#1746 2013-07-27 11:41:03

Archer
Website

Sooner, I know what you mean. It was 54 F here the other morning. I rode the Harley to work wearing a denim jacket and leather gloves...in July. The afternoon ride home was tremendous. It seems like Fall weather. It is now 63 F at 6:30 am! Last year we were going through a drought and triple digit temperatures. I really prefer this weather.

#1747 2013-07-28 00:55:57

"Bad News" Bob

Heck, guys after hearing about everyone else's weather I don't feel so bad; here I was thinking someone had pissed off the weather gods, because of the weather we've been having thus far this Summer seems more like Monsoon season in SE Asia, than Summer is the SE USA. It has rained here every day for thirty four straight days, not constant, but every day, starting on the twenty first of June, and ending two days ago. We're seventeen inches above normal for rainfall in July, and June was ten inches above normal. Today our high was sixty seven degrees which to my way of thinking would be perfect, except surprise, surprise, surprise it's raining again. I had to put the brush blade on my weed-eater, because the grass has been to wet to mow for weeks, and it had gotten taller than my Boston Terrier, poor dog, he looked pitiful plowing through the grass heading to his favorite spot in the yard.

Board footer