Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-16 19:08:45

jheri
Extremely Tall
Height: 190 cm

unusual holiday traditions

What the the little holiday traditions you love, but others might think are a little strange?

Here are a few of mine

° a yule goat tree ornament made of straw

° marzipan pigs as a treat

° real candles on the tree rather than electric lights

° rice pudding on Christmas Eve with one almond in it.  The person who gets the almond gets a prize (in our family it was some money)

Last edited by jheri (2012-12-16 19:11:04)

#2 2013-03-31 20:01:53

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

Re: unusual holiday traditions

My wife's family has add a long tradition of climbing Sauratown Mountain on or during the Easter Holiday. My wife's mother's father used to own most of the southern side of the mountain and they used to picnic on top of it as an Easter Tradition. When I first started dating my wife twenty seven years ago it was still an on going thing, but then it fell by the wayside as many of the family members were getting older, and the mountain wasn't getting any shorter, or easier to climb. This year we chose to revive the old family tradition; although we ate before we started the climb, instead of carrying lunch for fourteen people up the mountain. It was factual a lot of fun, and not nearly the dreaded climb I remembered. I think we'll probably keep the tradition alive.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#3 2013-04-01 00:23:21

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

Our tradition was, last one to the table got nothing. wink Just kidding. We are a bit more civilized than that. Our tradition has been to meet at mom & dad's for Easter dinner. There is nothing unusual about that I suppose. What is unusual is that we can no longer do that. With mom gone, dad, who did the cooking for both of them, no longer wants to cook just for himself. He is eating out a lot or fixing sandwiches.

One of my brothers invited dad for Easter dinner but then my brother came down with a viral infection. The dinner was canceled. My sister and brother-in-law came yesterday and spent the night. They went to church with dad this morning but they had to leave right after church to get back home. I couldn't bear the thought of dad eating out alone today so I gave him a call and asked him to join us since our children and grandchildren were not going to be able to visit us.

I am glad he joined us. We had a nice dinner thanks to BikerBabe's skills in the kitchen. We enjoyed our visit and dad left with a couple of containers of left-overs. I guess I am taking the long way around to say that our holiday was very disjointed because of the loss of one person. My mother, who was not able to walk, read, write, etc. because of the cumulative disabling effects of her strokes, was a glue that held us together. We are in a bit of disarray because of the void she left. In many ways we are stronger and closer after her passing and she would be happy and proud of that. We just need to figure out how to carry on the traditions that she was so much a central part of, without her.

I hope all you Tall Talkers had a happy Easter
Blessings,
Archer

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#4 2013-05-31 18:48:23

jheri
Extremely Tall
Height: 190 cm

Today was the anniversary of some close friends.

Here close friends gather in front of the home and build an arch out of flowers over the door.  Then songs are sung in honor of the couple starting about 6am.  The couple comes out and joins in.  They usually have a private lunch together, but it is expected they host a feast that night for their friends and family who made the arch.  Ice cream is the traditional desert, so I'm in:-)

These celebrations are for the big anniversaries which come at 12-1/2, 25 and 50 years.  As far as I know this is the only place with a major 12-1/2 year celebration.

#5 2013-07-04 03:47:33

flatlander
Tall

Happy fourth of July to all the Americans!

#6 2013-07-05 05:30:02

Sixft9
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'9"
Website

Happy 4th all, even though I'm typing this on the 5th.  I'm not around too often but my TT family are in my thoughts.  I'm friends with a few of you on FB and it's nice to stay connected in one way or another. It's funny, I've become sort of a prominent figure in my community with my overwhelmingly successful Cash Mob and one of my Tall Talk friends shares the same name with a wildly disrespectful selectman in our town.  On occasion this Tall Talk friend will "like" a post and I get feedback from others in the community thinking that I'm buddy/buddy with the selectman who shares the same name. It's pretty funny when I tell them that my Tall Talk buddy Bob is not Selectman Bob. lol. People can be so caddy.

Board footer