Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#601 2013-01-31 18:42:06

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

Re: HEADLINES

How is one way to tell that the Super Bowl is near?

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#602 2013-04-05 11:34:02

jheri
Extremely Tall
Height: 190 cm

You may have seen this on an airline that charges by distance and weight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22001256

It would make sense, but most airlines have bizarre pricing and it would be difficult to call fares fair. I could see an airline using it o shift the average passenger weight, particularly if lighter people paid less than fares on other airlines, but I can't see it happening.

The only thing that is certain is the airlines are trying to get money any way they can with fuel prices so high.

#603 2013-04-05 14:37:34

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Height: 5'11"
Website

Its a complicated issue. I really don't know how I feel about it. I can see the airlines position.

Sooner

#604 2013-04-05 15:28:09

"Bad News" Bob

jheri wrote:

You may have seen this on an airline that charges by distance and weight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22001256

It would make sense, but most airlines have bizarre pricing and it would be difficult to call fares fair. I could see an airline using it o shift the average passenger weight, particularly if lighter people paid less than fares on other airlines, but I can't see it happening.

The only thing that is certain is the airlines are trying to get money any way they can with fuel prices so high.

The major problem I see with that kind of pricing, is that if I'm going to be charged more than an average person, simply because I was genetically predisposed to be larger than average, then I'm going to expect better than average accommodations, and service from the airline. I'm going to expect a seat that fits me as comfortably as an average person's seat fits them, and I'm going to expect the same proportional amount of legroom, then I'll gladly pay extra; but that's not what airlines have in mind.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#605 2013-04-05 17:16:30

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

That addresses the issue and make perfectly good sense.

Sooner

#606 2013-04-05 22:19:43

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

I see the airlines' side of this issue too. To me they seem concerned with profits with little or no regard for their customers. I also wonder what effect this could have on people in the business world. If the boss is going to send either me or my colleague on a business trip, will the boss opt to send me at 250lbs or will he send my 150 lb. co-worker? Does this put larger people at a disadvantage with regard to jobs that require a lot of travel? I could see that happening. I agree, Bob, that until the airlines ought to provide room enough for larger people to travel comfortably.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#607 2013-05-20 23:37:21

"Bad News" Bob

Hey Sooner, how about checking in when you get a chase, I know you don't live in Moore, OK; but it would be nice to know that you're ok.

#608 2013-05-21 14:15:15

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

Thanks Bob. Its like deja vu all over again. I lived in EL Reno in 99 when the almost identical tornado scenario happened starting out in Moore. I lived about 25 miles west of there. We had one start in El Reno that turned into a 5 and went north and did a tremendous amount of damage. You can't imagine the devastation these things can do- cows flying by your car, pieces of paper embedded 3 inches into a telephone pole. There's nothing on the planet like it because you don't know where it is going and winds can get 300 miles per hour. The meteorologists here are the best in the world and do a tremendous job but when you are in car going someplace and told you have 10-20 minutes to get someplace safe- you and everyone else are rushing to safety. Thank God it didn't hit at night time or the deaths would have been in the thousands.

People here are tough and face this possibility every year. They take care of themselves and will with this one too. If they ever caught a person looting or taking advantage of this situation in some way they would have a hard time making it to the police station alive. Obama is on the air now promising everything he promised the people of hurricane Sandy and never delivered. We will take care of ourselves.

Mother Nature is a bitch.

Sooner

#609 2013-05-21 15:31:48

allenp412
Quite Tall
Height: 6'8"
Website

Very good to hear from you!

Our motto here after a hurricane is "you loot, I shoot".........

I think I need a shrink....er.....need to shrink!

#610 2013-05-21 15:36:38

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

Thank Allen. We got the guns to do it too:)

Sooner

#611 2013-05-22 00:32:08

"Bad News" Bob

Sooner wrote:

Thanks Bob. Its like deja vu all over again. I lived in EL Reno in 99 when the almost identical tornado scenario happened starting out in Moore. I lived about 25 miles west of there. We had one start in El Reno that turned into a 5 and went north and did a tremendous amount of damage. You can't imagine the devastation these things can do- cows flying by your car, pieces of paper embedded 3 inches into a telephone pole. There's nothing on the planet like it because you don't know where it is going and winds can get 300 miles per hour. The meteorologists here are the best in the world and do a tremendous job but when you are in car going someplace and told you have 10-20 minutes to get someplace safe- you and everyone else are rushing to safety. Thank God it didn't hit at night time or the deaths would have been in the thousands.

People here are tough and face this possibility every year. They take care of themselves and will with this one too. If they ever caught a person looting or taking advantage of this situation in some way they would have a hard time making it to the police station alive. Obama is on the air now promising everything he promised the people of hurricane Sandy and never delivered. We will take care of ourselves.

Mother Nature is a bitch.

I'm glad you're OK, thanks for checking in.

#612 2013-05-24 14:42:56

"Bad News" Bob

Are you easily distracted? There may be a very good reason why; according to a new scientific study.

#613 2013-06-13 21:54:53

"Bad News" Bob

Wow, former KGB operative, and current President of Russia, Vladimir Putin, endorses the US surveillance system. Now that's high praise, and something we can all be proud of, when the Russians say our governments surveillance techniques are the envy of that former communist totalitarian state.

Board footer