Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-05-20 00:30:46

allenp412
Quite Tall
Height: 6'8"
Website

Re: staying healthy

So sorry to hear that Arch.

I was The same age when i was diagnosed with 100% blockage of my L.A.D. (Left anterior descending coronary artery) AKA "the widow maker".
They tell me I am a walking miracle.

The normal school of thought is that someone in their thirties is too young for that. I am fortunate to have a wonderful Cardiologist, whom has become a good friend.

6 stents and an ablation later, I am still kicking.....

I think I need a shrink....er.....need to shrink!

#27 2013-05-20 13:31:31

jheri
Extremely Tall
Height: 190 cm

allenp412 wrote:

So sorry to hear that Arch.

I was The same age when i was diagnosed with 100% blockage of my L.A.D. (Left anterior descending coronary artery) AKA "the widow maker".
They tell me I am a walking miracle.

The normal school of thought is that someone in their thirties is too young for that. I am fortunate to have a wonderful Cardiologist, whom has become a good friend.

6 stents and an ablation later, I am still kicking.....

wow

Is it under control now?  Do you have to take special precautions?

#28 2013-05-20 13:47:30

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Height: 5'11"
Website

Arch,

So sorry to hear about your cousin. Take care of yourself, stay on your diet and do your exercise.

Sooner

#29 2013-05-20 22:27:11

allenp412
Quite Tall
Height: 6'8"
Website

"Is it under control now?  Do you have to take special precautions?"

A hand full of meds twice a day.
Some days I feel like a timebomb.

I think I need a shrink....er.....need to shrink!

#30 2013-05-20 23:35:01

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

My very sorry to hear about your cousin Arch, and it happening on Mother's Day will make it especially hard for her family in years to come. Seventy seven is awful young.
~
I'm glad your health has taken a turn for the better, good luck with your diet. BTW, how is Bibkerbabe doing post surgery, any news you care to share.
~
Allenp412, it sounds like you dodged one heck of a bullet, not many people cheat the 'Widowmaker' and live to tell the tale. I was first diagnosed with a Left Anterior Fascicular Block (LAFB) when I was twenty one. It scared the crap out of me at the time because my GP did a piss poor job of explaining it to me, and at the time there was no ready access to the internet. About a year ago I started having chest pains center sternum, and ended up at the cardiologist. The good news is it wasn't my heart, but my lower esophageal sphincter cramping; and the better news was that my cardiologist explained to me what a Left Anterior Hemiblock was in terms that I could easily understand. It's basically an electrical problem, and not a plumbing problem; had I know that thirty years ago I would have been a much happier camper.
~
In side note, my brother in law Mark just escaped the clutches of the 'Widowmaker' ten days after we climbed Sauratown Mountain on Easter Sunday. He was 98% occluded when he went to the hospital. It's a miracle that he didn't have the big one half way up the mountain.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#31 2013-05-26 11:22:03

jheri
Extremely Tall

I found this interesting - on how nutrition has been bred out of some foods.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opini … -food.html

#32 2013-05-26 14:17:24

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Height: 5'11"
Website

Totally believe that.

Sooner

#33 2013-05-27 03:51:16

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

That was an interesting article. I recently read an historical account of the Mayflower pilgrim's first year in America. They found caches of food including Indian corn that sustained them early on. They later paid back the "borrowed" food. I don't recall reading about the "scorched earth" policy of George Washington and had not hear of the discovery of the sweet corn. That was interesting history.

I have been using an application called My Fitness Pal to count calories. It has been instrumental in my weight loss. It also tracks nutrition and calories burned through exercise. You can use the application through the web site or through a free mobile app that can be downloaded from the site. I use it on my Kindle Fire HD. It is handy to plug in my meals at home and I also take it to work since I sometimes read before work and at lunch. I also track my blood glucose on another app.  If you are interested in the app, it is at MyFitnessPal.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#34 2013-05-30 10:50:42

jheri
Extremely Tall

I've had the multicolored corn with black, orange and yellow kernels on the same cob.  It wasn't sweet like white or yellow corn, but was good and had more of a nutty flavor.  A neighbor raised it where I grew up.  She also raised blue corn, but I never was able to try that on the cob.  I've never seen either in any store.

#35 2013-05-30 19:20:40

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

jheri wrote:

I've had the multicolored corn with black, orange and yellow kernels on the same cob.  It wasn't sweet like white or yellow corn, but was good and had more of a nutty flavor.  A neighbor raised it where I grew up.  She also raised blue corn, but I never was able to try that on the cob.  I've never seen either in any store.

Jheri I guess it just depends on where you live, every produce stand, and some of the grocery stores around here have the multicolored, or Indian corn, and most of the Mexican markets have the blue corn. Blue corn tortillas are very popular as a snack food; and several of the Mexican restaurants have blue corn tacos on their menus. As for the blue corn tortillas I can't tell any real difference in taste from regular corn tortillas, but there is, as you pointed out, a considerable different between the taste of white and yellow corn and Indian corn. It doesn't really taste like corn at all.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

Board footer