Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#76 2010-07-13 21:57:25

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

Re: Best cars for tall people

Ren, the Holden SS Ute, looks like an updated version of the > Chevrolet El Camino. For which there was a rumor that it was going to be updated and rereleased as a > Pontiac G8 Sport Truck. Sadly, GM took the ax to Pontiac, so there is no updated El Camino on the horizon. That is unless Holden starts selling Car in the USA.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#77 2010-07-14 01:09:22

BadKarma
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'6"
Website

"Bad News" Bob wrote:

Welcome to TallTalk tj_610. I know several tall people that have Minis, and several tall people that looked at them and didn't like the fit. I think it was largely a matter of how they were proportioned. Oddly the people that were 50/50 legs and torso didn't care for the Mini's fit. The people that were more 60/40 legs and torso all seemed to like the Mini. So basically if your legs are the longest part of you, you'll probably like the Mini; and if your torso is the longest part of you, you probably won't like the Mini. As far as the Prius is concerned there is nothing to like about it if you are tall.

Or, if you are excessively wide. I had a friend who bought one, and I really had no place to put my elbows.

I'm so much cooler online.
Brad Paisley

#78 2011-02-05 02:02:28

BadKarma
Extremely Tall
Website

Well, as I blowed up my work truck, I have had a couple of rentals. First was a Chevy Traverse, and it seemed pretty OK for tall types. I did not feel I had an excessive amount of room, but I didn't feel too cramped. Then, I got a GMC Terrain, not so cool. I seriously had to get out and re-adjust my right leg the first time I got in it (leading with the knee, rather than being able to slide my foot in first and pivot my leg around). And the iPod port is in the stupidest spot.

Brad Paisley

#79 2011-02-06 00:48:06

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'6" or 1.98
Website

Sorry to hear about your truck BK, what happened to it? What was the make or model?  I drive a ford van, no problem with leg or head room.

Nobody is as smart as everybody

#80 2011-02-06 04:03:47

BadKarma
Extremely Tall
Website

122k of being heavily loaded, driving on rough roads (or lack thereof), SoCal traffic, and previously being driven by immature or just plain crazy guys. Don't really know what happened to it, but it's getting a new engine.

'06 F150 Supercrew 4x4, 5.5' box

Brad Paisley

#81 2011-02-22 19:44:23

Grimnir
Height: 2 Meters
Website

The two passenger cars I've found that are the most comfortable from the last decade are the 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix. I loved my supercharged coupe, though the handling left much to be desired. Gas mileage was good for that much power, 28mpg highway. Pontiacs in general are likely to be comfortable, they seem to be built for larger people than other GMs, even. That model in particular was so big inside you can't even drive it safely if you're under 5'5". The other is the 2007+ Nissan Altima. Seriously, a ton of room, decent handling, and 33mpg on the highway. What's not to love?

One car I'd like to check out is the 2003-2004 Infiniti G35. I hear they go through $400 brakes every year or two, and it doesn't get great gas mileage, but looking at pictures of the interior it looks like the center console is pretty far out of the way of the steering wheel. If the seat goes back far enough and there's enough headroom and the steering wheel doesn't pinch the left knee against the door that might be another winner. Gobs of power, great handling, pretty nice vehicle all around, fairly cheap used models, too.

I was surprised to hear people mention the Z4, I'll have to check it out, the early models are in my price range. I never thought I could ever own a roadster. I remember my 6'4" friend (all legs) had a '67 MG B GT. Sure, that car had plenty of legroom, I could lock my legs straight out. The only problem was that my head actually looked out over the top of the windshield, and with the top up my head was pinned to my shoulder. That's been sadly the case for almost every convertible performance car I've ever been in. Also, does anyone know if there's a significant difference in fit between the 2000-2005 BMW 3 series and the 2006/7+ models? I've been disappointed by space in BMWs in the past.

#82 2011-02-23 00:22:06

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

Not a whole lot of difference in the 3 series--we have an 06' and 6'10" Marc drives it happily, though no back seat legroom. Piece of CRAP car, though. All interior panels have been replaced due to paint chipping--they PAINTED the plastic! Are you kidding me (they did the same with the X5 in the same model year)?? And now it's rarely less than $1000 each time it goes in for anything. This is not for the dealership, either. I'm hoping to trade it in ASAP for a Subaru. It's only redeeming quality is the handling--it alone has saved Marc from several accidents. Not much else out there is an nimble--you'd have to move up to a Porsche to find something more responsive.

The Z4 is worth the hassle and expense, though. It is a dream to drive--even with the smaller engine it's a rocket. Tons of interior space--at least with the rag top. Expect high maintenance fees, but your gas mileage will be surprisingly good for the HP. Marc swears it's the best fitting car he's ever driven.

#83 2011-02-23 02:26:10

Grimnir
Height: 2 Meters
Website

I've long been of the opinion that nice german cars are meant to be leased. Once you're off the warranty it gets insane, and from what I hear BMW is still way ahead of VW/Audi on that front. Still, it's hard to argue with the performance and luxury on display.

I've found that the new Legacy/Outback (2010+) has significantly more space for the driver than the previous models, which I've found a little cramped. My brother has an '03. It's been good to him, but I don't like driving it for more than an hour at all. I don't know if Marc has the same problem in most cars with the dash digging into the right knee, but that's the problem I get with the previous Subarus.

I'll definitely test drive a Z4 sometime soon. I don't know if I can live with a roadster, since I often wind up carting carless friends around the city (read: back from parties) when I'm not taking longer road trips, and I'd considered driving cross country this summer, so a two seater with a small trunk might not be a good option, particularly since I usually travel with a guitar. On the bright side, as a roadster it's easy to find even '03 models with mileage under 30k. And the bigger motor gets better mileage on the highway, on par with a boring family sedan with a 4-cyl. Definitely lust-worthy. Practical? Dunno. In my neighborhood it'd stick out like a sore thumb, too, and I don't think it'd clear the sidewalk into the garage, so I'd have to leave it on the street. Can't imagine it'd be any less practical than a Mini Cooper, really.

I might see about tracking down a good deal on an older A4 with the timing belt already done, around 100k on the clock, or perhaps an 03 or 04 G35 if it's comfy, especially if it's more comfortable than an audi or 3 series. Buying a nice car seems to be signing up for big repair bills no matter what, might as well buy one cheaply enough to set aside money to maintain it.

#84 2011-02-23 16:26:01

jheri
Extremely Tall
Height: 190 cm

Welcome Grimnir

I know nothing about cars, but this is a friendly place.

#85 2011-02-23 22:51:19

"Bad News" Bob

Hello Grimnir, and welcome to TallTalk; I hope you enjoy the time you spend here with us.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#86 2011-04-17 13:35:04

jheri
Extremely Tall

daemon wrote:

Hi all,

Please keep the ideas coming, I need to buy a car soon and it can help me greatly! Please include your height (if not in your profile) and the years/styles of the cars if you can!

Here's some observations I've got to share, I'm 6'6:

Toyota Camry, 2002... Good head room compared with most cars I sat in. Leg room was OK. Better than the Corolla.

Honda Civic (not Si trims)... A 2000 coupe was tight but not too bad, I think I could adjust to drive it fine if I needed. I tried a 2002 sedan and a 2007 sedan and they were super cramped, almost the worst I've tried, I couldn't put my head straight and barely got my legs under the steering wheel. I wonder if the coupes are better, or if Civics are getting more cramped in the later years? Anyone can comment on the (late) 90s civics? I will do more research on them when I encounter some. smile

Ford Fusion... I've driven a 2009 Fusion with a sunroof a lot and the leg room is pretty good. The head room is a bit tight but I managed to adjust and drive it comfortably.

Ford Focus... Tried a 2007, it had no head room and leg room was not great.

I'm mostly looking at 95-05 range right now, imports or any other suggestions.

I'm not hoping to find a small car where I have clear vision out the windshield, that would be unrealistic expectations. tongue

Welcome to talltalk Daemon!  I don't own a car as they aren't essential in Danmark, but there are a lot of tall guys here and in the Netherlands in small cars.  I know a guy who is 206 cm and is ok with his Mini.  People stare when he gets in and out, but it fits him well.  I think how your height is distributed in cars is an issue.  The guys here will help you with that

#87 2011-04-17 13:58:50

haier2
Height: 6'9"

daemon wrote:

Hi all,

Please keep the ideas coming, I need to buy a car soon and it can help me greatly! Please include your height (if not in your profile) and the years/styles of the cars if you can!

Here's some observations I've got to share, I'm 6'6:

Toyota Camry, 2002... Good head room compared with most cars I sat in. Leg room was OK. Better than the Corolla.

Honda Civic (not Si trims)... A 2000 coupe was tight but not too bad, I think I could adjust to drive it fine if I needed. I tried a 2002 sedan and a 2007 sedan and they were super cramped, almost the worst I've tried, I couldn't put my head straight and barely got my legs under the steering wheel. I wonder if the coupes are better, or if Civics are getting more cramped in the later years? Anyone can comment on the (late) 90s civics? I will do more research on them when I encounter some. smile

Ford Fusion... I've driven a 2009 Fusion with a sunroof a lot and the leg room is pretty good. The head room is a bit tight but I managed to adjust and drive it comfortably.

Ford Focus... Tried a 2007, it had no head room and leg room was not great.

I'm mostly looking at 95-05 range right now, imports or any other suggestions.

I'm not hoping to find a small car where I have clear vision out the windshield, that would be unrealistic expectations. tongue

I drive a Chrysler 300C, and don't have any issues fitting into it. If you haven't tried this family of cars you really out to look into them. The Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger, and Dodge Challenger are all built on the same LX platform and contain similar space for the a whole lot of body. Most of these models went on sale in 04-05 and you can get some really good deals on them these days.

Alternatively, my old car was a 1996 Acura RL 3.5. I did fit in it though I'm not sure it is ideal. I received it from my parents as a first car and did fit in it, so you could take a look at those, they are really nice cars that are very reliable and you could definitely get a good deal.

#88 2013-04-23 01:12:23

KCClark
Height: 6' 8"

It's been awhile since this got updated.  Cannot say I have news on any newer vehicles.  I did recently test drive a 2004 Excursion.  The leg room in the driver's seat was the best I've ever had.  I could not believe how far my knees were from the dash.  Wonderful.

Sad that the Lincoln Town Cars are gone.  No clue what I'm going to get next time I need a rental.  I'm not buying Shaq fitting nicely into those Buicks.

KC

#89 2013-04-23 12:55:22

"Bad News" Bob

KCClark wrote:

It's been awhile since this got updated.  Cannot say I have news on any newer vehicles.  I did recently test drive a 2004 Excursion.  The leg room in the driver's seat was the best I've ever had.  I could not believe how far my knees were from the dash.  Wonderful.
-
Sad that the Lincoln Town Cars are gone.  No clue what I'm going to get next time I need a rental.  I'm not buying Shaq fitting nicely into those Buicks.

KC, about a month ago Spiker074, dropped in for a visit; he was in Charlotte on other business, so he drove up to Lexington to have lunch with my wife and I. The rental car he was driving was a Chevrolet Malibu; curious I asked him about the legroom and if he had to fold himself double to get into it. He told me, while it didn't have great legroom, it was pretty good. Since he's 7'4" and TallTalk's tallest member I took that as a glowing review. If he could drive comfortably then I would have nothing to complain about if I rented a Malibu, since he's a foot taller than me.
-
I definitely miss the Town Cars; that was the only car I use to rent when I went to the races, you could easily get half the crew in one of them.
-
I'm actually trying to find a particular Excursion, but those that have the ones I'm looking for just aren't selling them; either that or they're all in California, Washington, or Texas.

#90 2013-05-04 09:09:30

jheri
Extremely Tall

I have not been in one, but VW has an ad for their new Up!, which is starting to be sold in Europe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … w-HCl6wQ0s

#91 2013-05-04 13:27:38

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Height: 5'11"
Website

Cute ad!

Sooner

#92 2013-05-04 16:41:05

"Bad News" Bob

Now, that's how you sell a car.

#93 2013-05-05 11:43:52

allenp412
Quite Tall
Height: 6'8"
Website

Love it!!!

I think I need a shrink....er.....need to shrink!

#94 2013-06-01 18:22:15

spiker074
Quite Tall
Height: 223cm
Website

tall people should try the Elio car if it comes to your town. Looks like one could be customized to fit me. See my pictures on facebook

Dave Rasmussen

Board footer