Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#51 2009-01-03 14:38:42

monkeyking

Re: Best cars for tall people

I'm looking for a car that can fit me. I'm 6'5" and I recently lost my 2001 Jeep Grande Cherokee in a black ice related car accident on my way to work on 12-24-08. My wife is pretty tall for being Chinese(5'7") and my 19 month old daughter is already nearing 3 ft in height. Any suggestions for a replacement vehicle that's good on gas mileage and small-yet-big enough for me and my family? I need a new vehicle soon because my job is 30 miles away from where I live.

#52 2009-01-03 22:38:25

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

Welcome to TallTalk MonkeyKing; I hope you enjoy the time you spend here. As for a vehicle to replace your Jeep; that may be a tall order, pardon the pun. I have a Jeep myself and the time to replace it is drawing near. It's been a great vehicle so my first thoughts are to replace it with another Jeep. I have 255K miles on my current Jeep; but that is by no means the average life span for a Jeep. Although I have a friend who has a Jeep the same year model as mine and he has 375K miles on his. My Jeep still averages 22 mpg so I'm not in any hurry to replace it; my only concern is obtaining replacement parts as it gets older. That will likely drive my decision to replace it in the coming years as much as anything else. Don't get me wrong I have been keeping an eye out for it's replacement for the past several years, the trouble is I do a lot of research on vehicles before I buy them and very few vehicles meet my criteria. I most recently drove a crew cab short bed pick-up and found it to have less driver room than my Jeep. A fact that I found odd since it was almost four feet longer than my Jeep. Oh it had plenty of head room, but I couldn't get far enough away from the steering wheel for me to feel comfortable. It also had one glaring drawback; it had a digital display of how many miles per gallon it was getting as I drove, and it never got above seventeen. I've driven Suburbans, Tahoes, Escalades, Expeditions, and still haven't found what I have been looking for. I've even driven a couple of vans, and some passenger cars, but I still haven't found my Jeeps replacement. I thought I had two years ago when I test drove a buddies Ford Excursion, it fulfilled all of my criteria; plenty of room the ability to go off road and strong performance. In fact he had made several modifications to his Excursion that had dramatically improved it's fuel economy. He had put a Whipple supercharger on it along with a Banks gear vendor; then he changed out the rear end gear for a higher gear than the one that came in it from the factory. It already had a five speed automatic transmission so with the gear vendor he actually had ten forward and two reverse gears. With it's 6.0 supercharged Powerstroke diesel it averages twenty two miles per gallon highway and considering what a tank it is, that's simply amazing. Now some of you may not want to believe that, but we drove from my house in Lexington NC to Slidell La. on one 34 gallon tank of fuel. You're welcome to do the math yourself. Back to what I was saying that's the closest I've come to finding what I was looking for outside of what I already have; but if I were to lose my Jeep tomorrow I still think my first stop would be at a Jeep dealership before branching out to other vehicles.

Last edited by "Bad News" Bob (2009-01-04 07:03:08)

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#53 2009-01-03 23:58:12

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

We drive a Dodge Grand Caravan. Gets better mileage than an SUV and has AWD. Bought it when we had our first daughter and my husband at 6'10" fits great. Handles well in the snow and tows what we need it to as well and has enough space for those trips to Home Depot (can fit a 4x6 sheet of plywood). My husband drives a 3-series BMW and it has ample room for him, though back seat room is pretty bad with the growing girls. Not sure what we'll do as they grow...7 series?? They are built to last 300k miles.

I've also heard good things about Scion xB and it's on a list of options to replace the van. I also adore the new X6 from BMW, but not the $60k price tag. It has incredible space both front and back and the handling of a BMW (you can't go back once you've had one). I'm waiting for better MPG vehicles to come out, though.

#54 2010-06-01 07:11:07

cromwellwilson

Try getting a roomier car, such as the Hummer or the FJ Cruiser. Also, you can always use the option of pulling the lever to scoot back to give your legs more space.

#55 2010-06-01 18:15:09

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

The Hummer is a joke--it's TINY inside--I just fit in one at 6'1". And my husband cannot drive ANYTHING from Toyota--they have too large of a center console so he can't even get his leg to reach the gas pedal. It's really no longer about how far back you can scoot your seat-it's about if you can get your knee between the radio and steering wheel.

Subaru has totally changed the interiors of their cars, so now I'm hot after a 2010 Outback or Forrester. I'll definitely replace my van with probably the Forrester in the near future. They finally figured out the radio/steering wheel thing!

#56 2010-06-02 00:09:49

KCClark
Height: 6' 8"

Artistamy wrote:

It's really no longer about how far back you can scoot your seat-it's about if you can get your knee between the radio and steering wheel.

When Chevy came out with the Citation in, I think , 1980, car makers started making a big deal about front wheel drive and how the center hump was gone.  Dashboards had flat faces so you were able to contort your legs around to make yourself fit.  Then they started sticking in center consoles but it was not that big of a deal because many were just for looks so they could just be pulled out.  Now, the center console is wider than ever and full of electronics so you cannot do anything with them.  Which leads to Artistamy's undeniable truth.

I have a friend with a 2005 or 2006 Porsche Boxster.  He is 6'1".  He fits fine in the car and just could not fathom that I would not fit.  He had me wedge myself in.  My right leg was literally jammed between the center console and the steering wheel.  If he had had the top up, I never would have been able to even get in the car.  I had to sort of sit on top of the driver's seat so I could swing my right leg into position from above since I could not force it up between the console and the steering wheel.

KC

#57 2010-06-02 02:26:05

BadKarma
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'6"
Website

cromwellwilson wrote:

Try getting a roomier car, such as the Hummer or the FJ Cruiser. Also, you can always use the option of pulling the lever to scoot back to give your legs more space.

FJ Cruisers might work if you are all leg, but the sight line out the front is atrocious if you are like me and have a long torso.

I'm so much cooler online.
Brad Paisley

#58 2010-06-02 16:26:53

jheri
Extremely Tall
Height: 190 cm

I don't drive, but I remember being able to fit in a mini very well including being able to look up to streetlights.  It is strange getting in and out.  A tall guy I know here has a VW Golf.  It is very used as most cars here are with the purchase tax, but it has a lot of room on the inside.

Danmark is not friendly for car owners.  There are several taxes, but the big one is a 180% registration tax on top of the VAT.  The first 45,000 dkk are "only" taxed at 90%.  I think electric only cars are exempt from the registration tax this year.

Fuel is about as expensive as in Sweden, but you see many more cars and big cars there.  They don't have that registration tax.

#59 2010-06-02 22:20:19

spiker074
Quite Tall
Height: 223cm
Website

Did I say I was almost 7'4" and can drive a minicooper AND negotiate the clutch?

Dave Rasmussen

#60 2010-06-02 22:46:55

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

spiker074 wrote:

Did I say I was almost 7'4" and can drive a minicooper AND negotiate the clutch?

What do you have...a clutch lever on the steering wheel? lol

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#61 2010-06-03 19:29:58

spiker074
Quite Tall
Height: 223cm
Website

No seriously. there are many cars I can't even get my knees past the dash to get my feet on the gas pedal.

The 2010 mini and ford focus can among other dimensions that work for me.

The chevy equinox works and I found out by chance at the car rental place a hyundai Santa Fe works too.

Dave Rasmussen

#62 2010-06-03 21:18:18

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

Exactly Spiker--Marc's problem, too. Even in the BMW brand that fits him so well--there was one year the 5 series did something funny with airbags and he couldn't get his knees to fit. Any other year, fine. For him, Toyota and Nissan are completely out--we don't bother the dealer. I go to pre-screen and was shocked at how all of the Toyotas have essentially the same cockpit formation. So it's BMW or Subaru. My mechanic won't work on new Fords (spark plugs have a nasty habit of breaking off when he changes them out--has to replace the engine), and I still don't trust American cars beyond a Chevy pick-up or Chrysler minivan.

Marc still drools every time he sees a Z4 smile FWIW-my mechanic hates BMW's too--too hard to fix. But the drive--man, the only thing better is probably a Porsche.

#63 2010-06-04 04:57:08

"Bad News" Bob

Artistamy wrote:

man, the only thing better is probably a Porsche.

I would stick with the BMW Amy. When I was college I dated a girl that had a 911, it was a high school graduation present. Anyway, it was not meant to be driven by anyone much over six feet tall. It really left a bad impression on me and I've never considered a Porsche since. Granted it looked awesome, it was fast as hell and cornered like it was on rails, but on long drives it was the most uncomfortable car I've ever ridden in. The only other Porsche I've ever been in was a buddies 924 and it was an embarrassment to the Porsche name.
~
Speaking of uncomfortable cars, the second most uncomfortable car I've ever been in was my buddies 1978 Lamborghini Countach, another high school graduation present. Both the 911 and the Countach turned heads and even drew crowds when parked, but neither car turned out to be the dream car of my high school fantasies. That's not to say I would turn either one down if someone gave me one, but that's not likely to happen; and yes I would endure being sardined into either, if it did, at least until the new wore off.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#64 2010-06-04 12:53:22

jheri
Extremely Tall

Here is a porsche for tall people and its added bonus is the emissions are very low:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaQB_tgS7f0

#65 2010-06-06 03:28:35

Sixft9
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'9"
Website

my new impala ss is pretty roomy. I didn't have to throw the "ss" badge in there because I'm sure I would have fit ok in an "ls", but this new car is hot.  I mean it doesn't look like anything more than a family mobile but that 303 hp v8 just snaps my neck when I let those horses loose.  It's my 12th car in about 15 years so I know what "fits" for us talls.  I will disagree on the Toyota though b/c there is more than enough room in the Camry and I've owned two Solara's, one of which was a convertible that gave me more head room than any truck I've owned.  Granted either of my 2 F150's have been the best "fit" for me all around but the fuel is a killer.  I hope to one day take Amy's advice and try out a z4 but I'm not at that level of financial independence.

#66 2010-06-06 15:43:39

KCClark
Height: 6' 8"

Sixft9 wrote:

I will disagree on the Toyota though b/c there is more than enough room in the Camry

Last Camry I tried to fit in was a 2007.  I did not fit in drivers side.  The passenger side was uncomfortable but I cannot remember if the problem was legroom or headroom.

KC

#67 2010-06-06 23:24:35

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

YOu can get a used Z4 for the same price as a new Toyota. We discovered that when car shopping before--we tried Mazda, the 6, and it fit well. But for the exact same price, we got a 1 year old BMW 3-series that drove 100% better and had a much better quality interior. The Z4 is about the same price at 3 years old. Worth it for the fun drive and gas mileage smile

BMW gets pricey when you go into their higher level series like the 5, M, or X series. But the 3 and Z are decently priced and within the reach of most people looking at $30k American cars and trucks. Marc is drooling over a used Z4 that is listed at the same price as the new Impala smile

I also think it depends on where your height is. Marc is evenly balanced between leg and torso, so his legs have a hard time squeezing between the steering wheel and radio. I check out cars for him all the time--the new Toyota Venza looked neat so I checked it out. No way! Then for fun I looked at everything else (even the full-sized stuff), and there wasn't any way he'd get that leg in there. Maybe in earlier models he could, but nothing after 2009.

Last edited by Artistamy (2010-06-06 23:28:18)

#68 2010-06-07 13:22:15

jheri
Extremely Tall

It isn't a car, but it is transport.

An ex-boyfriend who loves the idea of space travel and also loved to joke about my height sent a piece on future astronauts.  The American shuttle is ending and they have changed the height requirements.  Now you can't be taller than 188 cm where you could be 193 before (my guess is it is 6'4 to 6'2 and the Danish writer rounded).  It went on to talk about likely requirements for very long trips like Mars. At this time they think there is a big advantage in using very small astronauts.  It said 160 cm might be the tallest and a 150cm 40kg fit person might be best.  The cost of sending extra weight is just too high.

Last edited by jheri (2010-06-07 13:22:41)

#69 2010-06-07 14:28:51

"Bad News" Bob

Jheri, if height and weight are going to be the chief concerns for future space missions then perhaps NASA should start recruiting jockeys for their astronaut programs. Of course I've haven't met any jockeys with degrees in engineering or astrophysics, but those kinds of glaring problems have never slowed the government down before, why would sending an astronaut to Mars be any different. This is the same organization that is retiring the very fleet of shuttles that were purposefully designed for building and SUPPLYING the International Space Station; and to my knowledge we don't have another vehicle capable of sending astronauts to the station, once the shuttles are retired; so we will have to depend on our old cold war adversary, the Russians, to ferry our astronauts back and forth. Kind of makes NASA pointless if you ask me.

#70 2010-06-07 22:14:41

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

They say there is significant bone loss as well as atrophy of the muscles due to weightlessness. I my opinion they should send larger people up so they could stay longer. Perhaps when they returned to Earth they would be normal-sized. wink

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#71 2010-06-07 23:14:28

jheri
Extremely Tall

"Bad News" Bob wrote:

Jheri, if height and weight are going to be the chief concerns for future space missions then perhaps NASA should start recruiting jockeys for their astronaut programs. Of course I've haven't met any jockeys with degrees in engineering or astrophysics, but those kinds of glaring problems have never slowed the government down before, why would sending an astronaut to Mars be any different. This is the same organization that is retiring the very fleet of shuttles that were purposefully designed for building and SUPPLYING the International Space Station; and to my knowledge we don't have another vehicle capable of sending astronauts to the station, once the shuttles are retired; so we will have to depend on our old cold war adversary, the Russians, to ferry our astronauts back and forth. Kind of makes NASA pointless if you ask me.

I much prefer the beautiful images and science from the robotic probes.

#72 2010-06-08 00:24:06

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'6" or 1.98
Website

I've been driving a cargo van for so long that it would be difficult to change to a smaller vehicle. This van has large windows all the way around so visibility is just fine, and there is plenty of leg and head room with ample space to get in and out.

Nobody is as smart as everybody

#73 2010-07-13 12:51:58

tj_610
Height: 6' 10"

Greetings, new to site! 6'10" (210 cm) from USA. I drive a 2003 Dodge Ram. I had back problems 2 years ago and tried about every car/truck/SUV I could, from Kia to Porsche LOL. I ditto the comments above that, at least for my body (244 lb/111 kg, size 16 feet, 40" inseam), the problem is usually the center console, with head room becoming a factor only with sunroofs.

I was dismayed to find few options, and to find that comfort did not relate well to overall vehicle size. The better options were -- Scion xB (not the newer one, haven't tried it) for SUV; Altima for midsize sedan; and disappointingly nothing in large sedan. I tried MB and BMW, and was disappointed in the titanic center consoles. I did not find a Mini, maybe I'll look again. I read that Dirk Nowitski (7-foot NBAer) had one.

My biggest heartbreak was to find that the Toyota Avalon got rid of the front bench seat option. In the end, I stuck with my truck, and my back got better. The 12 mpg is painful, and it eats tires every 30K miles, but at least the truck's paid for. :-)

Other 2 cents...I have not driven a Prius but it was miserable in the passenger seat. My 5'10" wife drives an 02 Honda Odyssey van. I can drive it OK but my right leg bumps the wheel-mounted shifter. It's much better around town now that my oldest child can ride in front; the second row passenger seat is great!

#74 2010-07-13 15:13:55

"Bad News" Bob

Welcome to TallTalk tj_610. I know several tall people that have Minis, and several tall people that looked at them and didn't like the fit. I think it was largely a matter of how they were proportioned. Oddly the people that were 50/50 legs and torso didn't care for the Mini's fit. The people that were more 60/40 legs and torso all seemed to like the Mini. So basically if your legs are the longest part of you, you'll probably like the Mini; and if your torso is the longest part of you, you probably won't like the Mini. As far as the Prius is concerned there is nothing to like about it if you are tall.

#75 2010-07-13 20:34:44

Ren
Height: 2.19m (7'1.5")

Ah, the Mini...

http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/83111341/17546250

...fond memories.

My 5'11" father was a panelbeater, and my grandfather restored cars. Between the two of them, on one productive afternoon, they tinkered with my Holden SS Ute; I could be rubbing ears with Robert Wadlow, and still fit comfortably after seat, steering wheel and other little adjustments. Just a stroke of luck, I suppose.

Board footer