Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-08-26 14:41:17

emplynx
Height: 6'9"
Website

Re: Best cars for tall people

Hey Folks,
I'm 6'9" and looking for something with lots of headroom. (I drive a 98 Mountaineer that I can't sit up straight in unless I recline quite a bit.) I'd really like a sedan or something with good gas mileage. Any suggestions?

#27 2008-08-26 14:49:55

allenp412
Quite Tall
Height: 6'8"
Website

I used to have a Grand marquis. It was pretty good on gas....19-25. It got kinda old climbing down into it though. Same with my Towncar. I have a F250 diesel now and love it. getting about 16-22 witch I think is real good for an 8100lb truck.

I think I need a shrink....er.....need to shrink!

#28 2008-08-26 15:15:41

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

BMW does a nice job with all aspects of height issues. Their Z4 fit my 6'10" husband like a glove. With the top up. He got close to 30 MPG in it, sometimes more, sometimes less (depended on his mood that day--those things are FAST). Now he's in a 325i. It's a bit smaller, but he still fits comfortably. I'd forget Honda, Toyota or Nissan. Mazda was borderline, and we never got to VW--check them out. I've found Germans to be reasonable with interior space. Never driven an American car other than my Dodge Grand Caravan (not exactly polite with gas--and the BMW fits my husband better), so I have no idea about them.

Last edited by Artistamy (2008-08-26 15:16:24)

#29 2008-08-26 15:22:27

emplynx
Website

The BMW is out of my price range... I've heard good things about the new Beetles; maybe I should try driving one.

#30 2008-08-26 17:17:43

brookers
Tall
Height: 6'8 1/2"

hi emplynx!    We're about the same height. I have a cute lime greenish bug. The leg room is great! I love the car also:its so adorable!

#31 2008-08-26 20:33:01

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

I'd love a bug, too (convertible and red or yellow)!

Another option might be the VW Golf TGI--if you get diesel, they have as good gas mileage as a Prius. We never got to that one to test it out, but I've heard it has a ton of room.  Oh, and check out the Scion xB--another one I've heard about.

And used BMW's fall enough in price to be in the same price range as new Mazda's and VW's. Just watch out for some of the 5 series--one of the model years was too small in the cockpit...

#32 2008-08-26 21:53:05

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

AllenP wrote:

I used to have a Grand marquis. It was pretty good on gas....19-25. It got kinda old climbing down into it though. Same with my Towncar.

We had a Grand Marquis too. It was a comfortable car. We also had a Towncar. It too was a very comfortable, nice riding car. As you say though, you have to climb down into them and getting out of any car is a chore for me. Babe now drives a Chrysler 300 and she loves it. It is a nice car but I have difficulty getting adjusted to a comfortable position and I seem to be looking at the road through the very top of the windshield. I prefer my Ram Quad cab pickup with the high headroom and adjustable seats...when I'm not riding the Harley, that is.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#33 2008-08-27 00:05:31

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

emplynx wrote:

I've heard good things about the new Beetles; maybe I should try driving one.

I have a close aquaintance that is 6'8" and he has Diesel Beetle. I've never once heard him complain about head room or leg room and on the plus side it gets nearly 50 mpg Hwy. Another plus is that it doesn't sound like a typical diesel. In fact, I didn't know his was a diesel until he happened to mention it one day while we were playing golf.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#34 2008-08-27 14:04:27

Starshine
Very Tall
Height: 5' 10"
Website

My 6'5" brother drives a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  He has no problems with it (and he and my father are presently souping it up with some performance parts to extend the gas mileage).  I tend to think my Hyundai Elantra is roomy, but that's because I've driven subcompacts all of my life.  smile

#35 2008-08-29 13:47:01

TallPositiveLady
Tall
Height: 5'11"
Website

Random Thoughts: I passed the scene of a bicycle accident two days ago and after seeing the bent bike, I pray that the rider wore a helmet. I've done three tri's and so having spent some time riding wouldn't consider going without one. One of my past gentlemen friends loved Harleys and hated helmets. He was bitter about the laws here in Oregon and wore a modified helmet that reminded me of the kind Nazi's wore in the war. However he was great about letting me wear a full helmet. I don't remember it feeling too uncomfortable, I just know I felt safer.

I testdrove a Prius last year. Ugh, I'm only 5' 11" and it felt too cramped. I'm currently driving an old Ford Explorer and like that. My last car was the same, but a Eddie Bauer edition and was even roomier. I'd love to get one of those Mini Coopers, but I have to admit that they look like clowns should be tumbling out of them...

It is never too late to become what might have been.

#36 2008-08-29 17:33:42

allenp412
Quite Tall
Website

If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet.
I always wear a full-face. feel naked without it.

#37 2008-08-29 20:20:22

Sixft9
Extremely Tall
Website

I forgot to tell you guys that I traded in my F150 and you may not believe what I bought.  I was looking at a Chrysler 300 that was all wheel drive and had a HEMI, but it was sold.  I was looking around and came across a bright red Toyota Solara Convertable.  Yeah, I sat in it, FIT FANTASTIC, and bought it immediately.  I have plenty of leg room and the head room is nice too.  I didn't want to get rid of that truck but if I had to save gas I wanted something fun.  That 300 HEMI would have been a lot of fun but as it turns out this Convertable is the most fun I've had behind the wheel ever. 

I couldn't afford the Z4 but I did sit in one and Artist Amy is correct about the fit for tall people.  I almost bought a used BMW 525I that day because BMW has a stop pin inserted in the seat track and they can easily remove that pin.  I had plenty of head room anyways but once that pin was removed I gained about 3 inches of leg room which was more than enough.  It was a beautiful car that was BMW certified (which is the best warranty in the business in my opinion), but it was rear wheel drive and required premium fuel.  So those factors unfortunately affected my decision. 

This Solara is hot though, and It's so much fun to drive, did I already say that?

I took it home and my elderly neighbor said to me, "Aren't you a bit young to be having your midlife crisis?".

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p171/sixft9/solara1.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p171/sixft9/solara2.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p171/sixft9/solara3.jpg

Last edited by Sixft9 (2008-08-29 20:42:57)

#38 2008-08-29 20:52:46

Keeper
Tall
Height: 6'0

Nice Sixft9! big_smile You even have the license customized! What's the mileage? Have you taken it for a bragging spin yet?

The irony of life is that no one gets out alive.

#39 2008-08-29 20:57:42

allenp412
Quite Tall
Website

Sweet!

#40 2008-08-29 22:05:33

Sixft9
Extremely Tall
Website

It averages about 23 mpg and yes, everywhere I go I get stares and although I'm used to stares, it's actually a different kind now and I LIKE IT.

Now the payment on the other hand, well, I don't like that.

lol

#41 2008-08-31 12:15:22

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

Wow! I never figured you to be a red convertible guy. You know; married father of one and all. wink
That thing looks really sharp. Enjoy...I know you will.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#42 2008-09-01 20:37:52

"Bad News" Bob

Cool car Dave, you'll definitely be looking fly and rolling fat in that. I also, couldn't help noticing your license plate.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#43 2008-10-13 01:56:18

livetowin1970

Scion Xb 2004-2008 model. Great on gas plenty of room for four tall adults.

#44 2008-10-13 10:51:42

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'3"
Website

Welcome, liveintown!

How did I miss this thread. WOW! Congrats Sixft9. That car looks so awesome. I had an Oldsmobile Intrique that had a lot of room. They don't make them anymore so you'd have to find a used one. I also have a Pontiac Torrent now which is a crossover. The only thing I don't like about it is the seats are too short - meaning they don't support enough of my leg. When I do long drives, I get cramps in my legs. I'm almost ready for a new car, but I'm waiting for the economy to settle down a bit.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with. LT :-)

~It isn't breathing that determines whether you are living or not. - Rev. Sam~

#45 2008-10-16 21:36:13

KCClark
Height: 6' 8"

Always surprises me how many tall people recommend the Beetle.  I cannot even get the door closed.  OTOH, I fit in the Passat.

I have a recommendation for tall people with tall kids:  Cadillac Fleetwood Limited.  I have three of these.  They are great except the Northstar engine is infamous for blowing head gaskets.

Background:  In '98 and '99, Superior Coach in Lima, Ohio made 781 of these cars.  They start out as a regular Cadillac DeVille.  Superior then added 6 inches of rear seat leg room and 6 inches of trunk length (great for carrying luggage on family vacation).  Even with the driver seat all the way back, I can sit in the rear seat with no problem.  MPG is not bad for the car's size.  On the highway, I normally get 24-25 MPG.  One time I drove 55 MPH from Waterloo, NY to Columbus, OH and got 29.8 MPG.  MPG around town is 18-19.  Since only 781 were made, they can be tough to come by.  They do show up on Ebay (there is one on there right now).

Cadillac changed the DeVille body in 2000.  I don't fit anymore.  If you do, there is a version of it that has had 6 inches of legroom added to the rear seat:  http://www.cadillacdes.com/

On the Lincoln side, they sell the Towncar Signature L.  The "L" at the end tells you this is the extended Towncar.  This car has a wheelbase which is 6 inches longer than the regular Towncar.  I believe the extra 6 inches is all for extra legroom in the rear seat.  These cars are easier to find than the Cadillacs since the Lincolns are more plentiful (Lincolns are made at the factory vs Caddys being modified in Lima, OH).  I see them on Autotrader.com all the time.  Not all Autotrader.com sellers point out they are selling the extended version so use the VIN to tell.  The vehicle identification number will have "85" for the sixth and seventh digits.  You can also tell by the smaller of the two windows on the rear doors.  The small window is wider on the extended version.

KC

#46 2008-10-17 03:57:47

bikerbabe
Very Tall
Website

Welcome KC. I LOVE the Lincoln Towncar. Don't have one now but it was the nicest car for talls EVER!

Since this is a CAR thread I need to tell my tall friends that I bought a car today. A 1979 Chevy Caprice Classic.

My disclaimer here is that I bought the car as a work-related project. Our son will be working with me on this. We have the local community college Auto Tech and Auto Body students who will be doing the repair work and the place my son works -- O'Reily Auto Parts-- donating paint etc.
          We hope to have the car "beautified" by April and then we will be raffling it off and announcing the winner at a car show in May. We hope to raise $30-$50,000 to help women with breast cancer.   I am totally psyched about this project. The family we bought the car from was the original owner, the first new car they ever bought and this car was a dream project of his. His wife was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and our fund helped her out, so he sold us the car cheaper than he could have. I'll be making him a scrapbook of the details as the project unfolds. The car winner also gets a scrapbook from start to finish. When it is done I can post a link to before and after photos for anyone who is interested.

Unfortunately I cannot buy a raffle ticket!! Nor can Archer!

BBabe

#47 2008-10-17 10:52:30

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'3"
Website

Can I buy one?

~It isn't breathing that determines whether you are living or not. - Rev. Sam~

#48 2008-10-21 15:58:39

KCClark
Height: 6' 8"

bikerbabe wrote:

We hope to have the car "beautified" by April and then we will be raffling it off and announcing the winner at a car show in May.  ....... When it is done I can post a link to before and after photos for anyone who is interested.

Please email or PM me when you are finished and selling tickets.  While I don't like the "boxy" Caprice (I have three of the "inverted bathtub" ones - '94 thru '96), I frequent probably six forums where "boxy" fans are known to gather so I might be able to help out with your sales.

KC

#49 2008-10-21 17:28:58

"Bad News" Bob

BB, I'm with LT, let me know when the tickets are available. I can't begin to count the number of car raffles that I've been in on during my life, sadly I've never won, although I got down to the final four in one raffle and then sold my ticket for a tidy profit. It wasn't the winning number so I've adopted that as my strategy ever since. If I make it to the top ten I always sell; so let me know about the tickets, I love car raffles.

#50 2008-10-22 00:30:38

bikerbabe
Very Tall
Website

Thanks folks. We took the car in to the local college where they were super excited. The kids generally just get the monkey-boy type jobs that aren't much challenge. This car had one owner, a mechanic who put in a rebuilt engine a year ago and a new transmission 2 yrs ago. Needs lots of body work and the brakes went out today but it will be real nice when done. Metal-flake red with red/black interior. It will be nice to see the old gal come back to her former glory. She will turn 30 when we raffle her. All the original detail pieces are still there.

I will post before/after photos and let you know when we start selling tickets.

BB

Board footer