Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-28 17:24:59

LessO2
Tall
Website

Best cars for tall people

Since I was given a homework assignment by Bamboo in another thread  big_smile , I figured I'd share my findings with everyone:

Through some research, I have discovered other cars to be decent in headroom (in no particular order):
Cadillac Escalade
Acura MDX (the SUV)
Chevy Silverado
Nissan Altima (had this as a rental a couple of times....not bad for headroom)
Honda Pilot (but they are ugly)
Volvo S80

Personally, I want to sit in a Lexus RX300 to see how that fits.  The hybrid version of that comes out later this year, I'm looking forward to sitting in one of them to see how they fit.

---------------

On another note, thanks for the welcomes from everyone in the prior thread.

#2 2005-03-28 18:08:50

underfire118
Tall
Website

Re: Best cars for tall people

Good to know. Do you have information on the leg room in a Toyota Prius? The next car I get, I want to be hybrid as well.

I drove a Ford Focus fairly comfortably, and am currently driving a Chevy Malibu with no problems.

I'm not in denial I'm just selective about the reality I choose to accept

Calvin and Hobbes

#3 2005-03-28 21:34:25

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'3"
Website

I rented a Buick LaCrosse in Florida and I had to stttrrreeetch my legs to reach the pedals.  It was the most AWESOME feeling (since I'm normally scrunched).  Headroom did not seem bad, but I don't usually have a problem with headroom except, of course, when I crash into the doorjam of my husband's Jeep Cherokee on a regular basis.  The problem with the Buick LaCrosse is there's no room in the back seat with the seat all the way back in the front.  Since my son is 6'2" and gaining on mamma quite quickly, I've got to find something that has room in the front and the back.  I've also heard, but not experienced, the Ford 500 and the Chrysler 300 have very roomy interiors unfortunately, they look like cars my father would drive.  If anyone can afford the Mercedes E320 it's got plenty of room front and back.  The payments, however, are more than my mortgage, so I won't be doing that.  And that's my 2 cents.  LT :-)

~It isn't breathing that determines whether you are living or not. - Rev. Sam~

#4 2005-03-28 22:50:02

skyhigh
Very Tall
Height: 6'7
Website

Thank you for the list, LessO2.

I didn't actually drove Excalade but I rode in the second row. I was pretty comfortable and really enjoyed my own headphones and LCD screen with movies I chose  tongue

Blessed

#5 2005-03-28 23:14:28

bbtcpublicity
Tall
Website

I test drove a ton of vehicles last year in my search for a mini van I could drive comfortably. The best I came up with were the Dodge Caravan (which would also include the Chrysler version) and the Nissan Quest. I settled on the Quest because at the time (early 2004), the GM mini van seats did not stow in the vehicle.

Previously I had a Ford Explorer (1997) which was AWESOME for my legroom - but the newer models aren't so forgiving unless you buy an Eddie Bauer or other higher end version with electronic pedal adjusters.

I also drove rentals over the years that were great - Buick Regal and Century, Ford Taurus, Toyota Camry.

I'm 5'11" BTW.

bbtcpublicity

The Boston Beanstalks Tall Club is a social organization for men 6'2" and above and women 5'10" and above. Our members range in age from 21 to 70+. We have members and host events in MA, ME, NH, RI & VT.

The Boston Beanstalks Tall Club exists to promote an exchange of friendship, support, information and ideas among persons of comparable height.  We encourage the comradeship of our members through activities and social programs, in an effort to promote self-confidence and a positive outlook on being tall. We are members of Tall Clubs International, a confederation of more than 60 tall clubs throughout the United States and Canada. We passionately support the National Marfan Foundation in their efforts to increase awareness of and to find a cure for Marfan Syndrome – a disease of the connective tissue that often affects persons of tall stature.

Visit our website at http://www.hubtall.org or call 617-HUB-TALL for more information.[SIZE=1]

#6 2005-03-29 01:38:31

BadKarma
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'6"
Website

I concur on the Ford trucks. I drive a 2001 F150 SuperCrew and love it. The only tall related problem I've had with it is that the lumbar adjustment hits me about my beltline, rather than my lower back. No big deal. My dad has a '97 F250HD that also fits me pretty well.

I'm so much cooler online.
Brad Paisley

#7 2005-03-29 05:30:34

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

I like my F150 pickup for headroom too. The seats are comfortable and are high enough to support my thighs. The lumbar adjustment is a help too. My Harley has plenty of headroom too!  tongue

Archer

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#8 2005-03-29 15:10:02

skyhigh
Very Tall
Website

Ford fans

What do you think about GT?

Local dealership has this car litteraly taped from people, so no one can look into the engine or start the vehicle without $200K in the pocket.

Ford GT 2005

Blessed

#9 2005-03-29 19:11:57

LessO2
Tall
Website

underfire118,Mar 28 2005, 06:08 PM wrote:

Good to know. Do you have information on the leg room in a Toyota Prius?

I've heard, third-hand, that the Prius has some headroom.  But in all the articles I read, Consumer Reports to some other sites, I have not seen anything about the Prius' head room.

Other than that, I don't have any info.   Sorry.

#10 2005-03-29 20:52:52

Sixft9
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'9"
Website

Honda Pilot (but they are ugly)

You're not talking about the Pilot, you mean the Element and you are right, they are Ugly.  I can't fit in one because the dashboard hangs really low and my legs hit that instead of my head hitting the roof.  I don't fit in the Pilot well but I can contort my body in such a way where I can drive it if I had too.  I lease an Accord Coupe currently and you all can imagine what I had to do to get my fat head inside that car....Well maybe you can't......I took out a portion of the sunroof but we won't tell the folks at Honda.....maybe they won't charge me for it at lease end. The bad, bad, bad news is that I sat in the new Honda Ridgeline Pickup truck and I don't fit.  The head room is iffy and it may not be too bad if you don't get the sunroof option but the dashboard is where the probles are .   The pedals adjust and the steeringwheel is telescopic so some may find a suitable seating position but I couldn't. 

Archer is going to have to wheel me around on his Harley if I want to get any good head room, I just have to look out for those June bugs.  I heard that the June bugs hurt really, really bad when you get one in the head.  I can't wait to see how the girls respond to this entry Archer....my guess is that they are going to call me your bitch or something predictably like that.....come on ladies lets hear it.....shift from the torture on the other thread to some verbal abuse over here.  Let me be your D***x, ohh sorry we are not talking to him.

#11 2005-03-30 02:31:09

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Website

my guess is that they are going to call me your bitch or something predictably like that.....come on ladies lets hear it.....shift from the torture on the other thread to some verbal abuse over here. Let me be your D***x, ohh sorry we are not talking to him.

lol  LMAO right now  lol  Archer'll only give you a ride if you promise to use your toes to shift for him from the back peg while he rests his legs over the handle bars.  Was that predictable?  I hate being predictable. . .  B)  LT

~It isn't breathing that determines whether you are living or not. - Rev. Sam~

#12 2005-03-30 19:01:09

TallerLA
Quite Tall
Website

First... I think it's great when someone can start a thread that gets a lot of information flowing and perspectives being shared.  So, thanks Less02!

The topic of "best cars for tall people" makes me wonder, though... perhaps endeavoring to find a car that provides a nice "fit" for tall people winds up being a much more subjective and varied matter than we think.

Why's that?  Well, just being taller than average isn't enough of a factor to consider.  Two people who are the same tall height may have VERY different issues relating to comfort level in a car.

There's the individual torso to legs ratio/proportion.  People who carry more of their height in their torsos will have more issues with headroom.  People who carry more of their height in their legs will have more issues with leg room.

And it's not just height... but frame size/build as well.  For example, BadKarma and I are the same height, but he's more than 2.5 times my size/weight.  So, I'd imagine that shoulder room and how comfortable he feels in the seat are more of an issue for him than they are for me.  Granted, I know that my build is far more unusual than his is, but still... hopefully you get my point.  Tall people with bigger frame sizes will have variably different comfort issues than tall people with smaller frame sizes will have. 

And also, something that some of my fellow tall friends have pointed out... sometimes even shoe size can affect one's comfort level in a car, especially in a stick shift.  I have these bizarre size 8 feet, so that's an issue that never really occured to me.  But my friends who wear sizes 16 to 18 DO have to consider how comfortably they can work the pedals.  And, again, one's leg length also affects that issue as well.

There's a psychological element, too... that may or may not have anything to do with being tall.  I have a 6'10" friend who drives one of those huge Mercedes Benz luxury cars.  It's INCREDIBLY roomy inside.  I feel like I'm in a boat whenever I ride with him.  And he gets claustrophobic whenever he's a passenger in my Kia Rio.  He doesn't enjoy being in cars that fit too closely around him.  He doesn't feel as safe.

But I don't like driving huge cars because I feel I can manuever much more deftly in a smaller car... especially when it comes to parking and making U-turns.

I have a 6'9" friend who drives a BMW sports car because he likes the feeling of being close to the ground, of "hugging the road."

But I have a 6'8" friend who can't STAND being close to the ground while driving.  He drives one of those huge Ford trucks because he likes the perspective of being above most other cars.  He feels that he can work through traffic better by seeing more around him.

So, it seems to me there are a LOT of factors to consider that go beyond just being "tall."

"I'm an idealist.  I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sandburg

#13 2005-03-31 04:11:42

nurse_marcey
Extremely Tall
Website

Great job on the homework assignment, I'm glad to see the dog didn't eat it!

I drive a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder, and I'm reasonably happy with the headroom I have.  For me, my problem isn't necessarily headroom so much as it is leg room, since most of my height is because of my legs/  Again, I'm happy with the leg room as well, especially since I can push my seat back as far as I can.  This is a luxury that I will have to slowly give up over the years as the occupants of the seat behind me get bigger, so I guess only time will tell.  (Or I could say that having their knees tucked against their chests builds character!)

Since I have a growing family, I need a vehicle that has a fairly decent passenger capacity.  I also need something with 4- or all-wheel drive since I'm expected to be at work no matter how bad the weather is out there.  Those requirements limit a lot of my options right off the bat.   I know that Toyota is coming out with a hybrid version of the Highlander, so I was considering taking a look at that.  I like the idea of hybrid cars, and with the price of gas the way it has been, I'll probably end up having to sell one of the rugrats before I buy a new vehicle... lowering my passenger load and increasing fuel economy.

One of my friends has an Audi TT, and let me tell you, I felt like I was riding in one of those little Shriner's cars you see in parades.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/nurse_marcey/3.jpg

#14 2005-04-01 23:03:51

LessO2
Tall
Website

underfire118,Mar 28 2005, 06:08 PM wrote:

Good to know. Do you have information on the leg room in a Toyota Prius? The next car I get, I want to be hybrid as well.

I just got back from the Denver Auto Show.

I sat in a Prius.  I recommend you don't.  Bad car for tall folks.

The best ones were the Honda Element and the Scion.  Both are boxy...kinda ugly, frankly.  However, they both get some decent gas mileage and are reasonably priced.  I think the Element sticker said $23k, and the Scion was $17k.

The Lexus RX330 (updated version of the RX 300) is worth a shot, but I felt a little cramped in there.

Of course the coolest car out there (for what I'm looking for) was the Porsche Cayenne.  Thing only has 355hp -- when you absolutely, postively must leave all the soccer moms in the dust.  Didn't get to adjust the seat, as the disconnected the battery, but it was promising.  Price tag wasn't promising: $64k.

The VW Touareg -- I've always like the design of that car.  I fit in it decently, but Consumer Reports had nothing postive to say about it.  A survey of new Touareg users showed about 48 out of 100 (give or take a few) had to return it to the dealer not too long after purchasing it for one thing or another that was wrong with it.

One big note on all of this.  Personally, I have short legs for being 6'6", a lot of my height comes from my torso, so keep that in mind for comparison's sake.

#15 2005-04-01 23:32:37

skyhigh
Very Tall
Website

Marcey,

I have a Pontiac Montana, which seems like a perfect van for you too. I stretch my left leg straight while driving. I have extended version so I have plenty of cargo area for my gym bag filled with 1 pair of giant shoes lol My black lab stretches herself onto 3 back row seats and lays there like a damn queen.

The only downside for me is that lumbar area is not very comfortable but I placed tiny pillow on the seat and that made a world difference. I get about 400 miles per 17 gal tank. I'm not a racer so I guess that helps with gas mileage wink

I owned a brand new vehicle once, for about 6 month, I took it back to the dealership while demand was on. New vehicle sucks up the gas, the value quickly goes down.. Not for me.. I prefer used ones with low mileage and bank (of my choice, not dealership) financed

Blessed

#16 2005-04-03 02:58:06

Archer
Website

Archer is going to have to wheel me around on his Harley if I want to get any good head room, I just have to look out for those June bugs. I heard that the June bugs hurt really, really bad when you get one in the head. I can't wait to see how the girls respond to this entry Archer....my guess is that they are going to call me your bitch or something predictably like that.....

Those June bugs do smart when you take one to the face but I have a windshield that should protect us from them. I doubt we'll get too many "bitch" comments given our collective mass...as long as you don't wear a tube top or string bikini or something.  :blink:

Archer

#17 2005-04-04 03:17:30

nurse_marcey
Extremely Tall
Website

Skyhigh-

I'm not sure I can bring myself to own a minivan... for me, it's like the final nail in my soccer mom coffin.  Okay, so maybe I'm overdramatizing a bit.  smile  Whatever vehicle I get nextm 4 wheel drive is a must, I need to get to work, and there are lots of hills between here and where I work.  Then there's also legroom and passenger space... I'll have one more little one to tote around.

Maybe I should just get a school bus and paint it all sorts of bitchin' colors so I can be like the Partridge Family.  (Really dating myself here!)

Archer-

Just out of curiousity.  I've never been on a motorcycle.  Here in my state, riders are not required to use a helmet.  Most other places, I believe they are.  I've heard that some motorcyclists don't like tehm because they interfere with hearing and vision.  What's your take on this?  And to tie it in to the topis somewhat, is it difficult to find a helmet that fits, assuming that your head is proportional to your body, which is larger than the average male? 

#18 2005-04-04 15:39:44

Kofte
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'2''

If interior space and  low cost are a priority get an old Caddy or Lincoln Town car 1980's.  For winter studded tires and put concrete blocks in the trunk- or coprses-they have 4 body trunks! roll  lol

But if you want to go more traditional get a Mercury Grand Marquis  full size, the favorite of the old people eating "early bird" dinner specials.  The interior has lots of space.  "Room for 6 six footers"  With studded tires for winter and above mentioned weight in the trunk  you can plow through anysnow anytime. 

And the perfect car [with adequate rust] for  the mean streets of Eastern massachusetts's angry drivers.

#19 2005-04-05 15:10:46

spiker074
Quite Tall
Height: 223cm
Website

speaking of best cars, buick was running a promo for a while where if you test drove
some  cars you get a voucher for $100 off a stay at a marriott.
(course I dunno how much a marriott stay is)

http://www.buick.com/testdrive/

I'm signed up to try the lacrosse

Expires april 30.

Dave Rasmussen

#20 2005-04-05 18:43:15

Sixft9
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'9"
Website

I prefer used ones with low mileage and bank (of my choice, not dealership) financed

Screwing the car dealer hint # 169:

Never let a dealership finance your deal.  They make money off the points on the interest rate so they want you to get a crappy rate because it nets them more money.  Go to a local credit union first because they have great deals or go to www.carbuyingtips.com and check out their resources.  There are banks that will approve you for a loan and overnight mail you a blank check so that you can take it into the dealership before you buy the car.  This gives you the leverage to get the best deal and tells the dealer that you aren't an idiot and he/she needs to treat you like a human being and not a piece of clay. 

There is only one instance where you finance in house and that is when the new vehicle that you want is offering significant incentives for you to take advantage of. Sometimes you only get those incentives if you finance with the factory finance company, i.e. Ford Finance, Honda Finance.  Just read the fine print and don't believe anything a car dealer tells you and you will be fine.  If all else fails, get me the vin # and I can get a value for the car in question.

#21 2005-04-06 22:22:01

Archer
Website

Archer-

Just out of curiousity. I've never been on a motorcycle. Here in my state, riders are not required to use a helmet. Most other places, I believe they are. I've heard that some motorcyclists don't like tehm because they interfere with hearing and vision. What's your take on this? And to tie it in to the topis somewhat, is it difficult to find a helmet that fits, assuming that your head is proportional to your body, which is larger than the average male?

Marcey,

My state is also one of the few that leave the helmet decision to the rider. I think this is as it should be. Helmets are a touchy issue with bikers. If I knew I was going to fall off and land on my head, I would want one on. But nobody plans to fall off. They can be hot to wear. They can wear your neck out from the weight. In a stiff cross wind, they can cause your head to blow around somewhat. You do lose some peripheral vision and sounds are muffled to some degree. All this depending on the style of helmet you wear. They can also be warm to wear in cold weather. They protect your face and head from bugs, rocks, rain, etc and can make the rider feel more secure. In short, for every pro...a con. That is why I feel it should be an individual decision except for perhaps the younger riders.

I have a helmet that I wear sometimes depending on where I'm going and what the conditions are. Most  of the time I prefer not to wear one. My wife has one that she wears 99% of the time. She rides behind me and I want her to feel as safe and comfortable as possible. It's supposed to be fun ya know.

If you walk into any bike dealership and ask for a helmet, I'm sure you will find one that fits and you can get used to. You have to try them on because sizes vary from one brand to another. The helmet should fit snugly without being too tight. If your thinking of riding, my advice is to get a helmet and wear it.

Archer

#22 2005-04-07 17:10:56

skyhigh
Very Tall
Website

I'd gladly tell anyone to wear a helmet but I won't ever wear it myself  :ph34r: I ride bicycle a lot and our state requires helmets even riding a bike on the road.  :angry: So I limit my rides to back roads and more of a leisure type riding.  tongue

Blessed

#23 2005-04-09 04:34:18

nurse_marcey
Extremely Tall
Website

If you walk into any bike dealership and ask for a helmet, I'm sure you will find

one that fits and you can get used to. You have to try them on because sizes vary from one brand to another. The helmet should fit snugly without being too tight. If your thinking of riding, my advice is to get a helmet and wear it.

And mess up my flowing red tresses?!  I was just curious on your take of the helmet issue, because someone had written a letter to my local paper.  I'm perfectly happy enclosed in my 4-wheel vehicle.  smile

I'm not sure what the status of any law here is with respect to bicyclists.  I know young children are required to wear helmets, but not sure about adults.  The same goes for Rollerbladers.  I used to be an avid Rollerblader, and would frequently wear my wheels down to just little nubs. 

#24 2005-04-10 05:49:08

BadKarma
Extremely Tall
Website

Here in Orygun helmets are required by law. The law was adoped about ten or so years ago. When I moved to Colorado three years ago for a short time I was suprised to see people riding without a helmet, but then I was surprised to see people smoking in the Waffle Hut, too (Oregon was early in the health-nazi movement). Just for the record, when I rode motorcycles in the past I mostly wore a helmet, and I don't smoke, with the exception of four or five cigars a year. But I think you ought to be able to do whatever you want to, as long as it doesn't affect me.

I'm so much cooler online.
Brad Paisley

#25 2005-04-15 17:51:39

LessO2
Tall
Website

BadKarma,Apr 10 2005, 05:49 AM wrote:

Here in Orygun helmets are required by law. The law was adoped about ten or so years ago. When I moved to Colorado three years ago for a short time I was suprised to see people riding without a helmet, but then I was surprised to see people smoking in the Waffle Hut, too (Oregon was early in the health-nazi movement). Just for the record, when I rode motorcycles in the past I mostly wore a helmet, and I don't smoke, with the exception of four or five cigars a year. But I think you ought to be able to do whatever you want to, as long as it doesn't affect me.

I live in downtown Denver (LoDo), and there's a bicycle lane on my street, complete with the lines outlined in the road.  Even the little image of the person riding the bike in the bike lane is wearing a helmet.

I don't wear a helmet (not required by law in Denver) because head is the size of a small car.

Board footer