Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-27 21:38:50

thebostonbigguy
Website

Insulting Nicknames

Hi all!

I'm new here, and thought I'd try my hand at my VERY FIRST post!  (Yea!)

So.. what insulting nicknames have you ever been called because of your height, and have you said anything back to the "insulter?"  Do you think anyone's ever said something to you meaning to BE endearing, but still have it sound insulting?

For example:  I've often heard "Baby Huey!"  Now I don't look anything LIKE Baby Huey!

So.. I guess this is supposed to start a discussion, right?  Lets see. :-)

Thanks!

Jeff

#2 2004-09-27 23:16:28

MsBoyd
Very Tall
Height: 5'11"

Re: Insulting Nicknames

Jolly Green Giant.  Bigfoot.  Moose.  Twin Tower.   :angry:   

No wonder I hated school...

"Don't touch me!  I don't know where you've been!" -- Basil Fawlty

#3 2004-09-28 00:09:34

mandymentor

I got "jolly green giant once" and "stretch" once.  Thank God I didn't reach my full height untill after high school!  I never said anything back but I wish I had.  Maybe then these people would think twice before opening their  mouths.

#4 2004-09-28 04:03:17

ahab
Quite Tall
Website

MsBoyd,Sep 27 2004, 05:16 PM wrote:

Twin Tower

My 6'6" buddy and I have that nickname. I think for halloween I am going as the jolly green giant.

I never had much for insulting nicknames, just nicknames that were overused to the point of annoyance

No wisdom here.

#5 2004-09-28 06:09:06

kalliesmiles
Tall
Website

Let's see, Stretch, SixEightKate, Big Kallie, Twin Tower, Amazon, Sasquatch (probably the only one that ever really bothers me).  For Halloween my roommates and I are thinking Italian Mafia Pizza Guys and I've been given the name Little Mickey.  I'm with you ahab, the only part about the nicknames that gets me is the overuse, espeically when people think they are being really original.

#6 2004-09-28 17:39:56

skyhigh
Very Tall
Height: 6'7
Website

I love my name and I prefer not having a nickname - insulting or not.

As a teenager I hated when kids called me wife of Abdul Jabaar (spl?). Its funny now but at that time it felt insulting.

Strangely, there was no other nicknames related to height. Maybe bypassers but I learned how to isolate myself from street comments during younger age.

I don't like word "big". Maybe I'm in denial but I prefer not to hear that word toward myself.  :ph34r:

Blessed

#7 2004-09-29 12:20:02

mandymentor

What is up with people calling tall women amazons anyway??  Every time I here the word I think of large, muscular women who look like men, trampling through the jungle trying to pick battles with the male half of the population.  I read in the dictionary once that the word also meant a "large, overbearing women".  Tall women are just tall.  I've never met one who wanted to beat a man up or push everyone around. 

Having said all this, my husband has called me and other tall women amazons.  He loves tall women though and finds the idea of a strong women sexy.  I don't mind so much when he calls me one as long as he doesn't do it out in public.

#8 2004-09-29 12:42:09

eldor
Tall
Website

skyhigh,Sep 28 2004, 05:39 PM wrote:

I love my name and I prefer not having a nickname - insulting or not.

As a teenager I hated when kids called me wife of Abdul Jabaar (spl?). Its funny now but at that time it felt insulting.

Strangely, there was no other nicknames related to height. Maybe bypassers but I learned how to isolate myself from street comments during younger age.

I don't like word "big". Maybe I'm in denial but I prefer not to hear that word toward myself.  :ph34r:

In my classroom, when i was 14, i was 13 cm (more than 5") taller than the tallest and i was more than 20 cm taller than average boys.
Well... when i was a teenager i was called Abdul Jabar...
They also call me "the giant", "the tallest man in the world", "skyscraper", "tower" or in italian "spilungone", "stangone"
Eldor

#9 2004-09-30 22:29:00

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

I guess the one I dislike the most is "Big Daddy". This particular nickname didn't come about until I started playing league softball several years back. I was, with occasional exception, the most "mature" player on the team. I also had the distinction of being one of the largest players in the league so somewhere along the way I got labeled "Big Daddy". The way I cope with it is simple when I hear one of my opponents call me that I just knock the next pitch out of the park. Either that or smash the ball straight at the offending player.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#10 2004-10-01 01:08:13

kalliesmiles
Tall
Website

mandymentor,Sep 29 2004, 05:20 AM wrote:

What is up with people calling tall women amazons anyway??  Every time I here the word I think of large, muscular women who look like men, trampling through the jungle trying to pick battles with the male half of the population.

My stepdad is 5'10 and I grew up with him calling me an "amazon princess," so I'm kinda partial to the name.  He described Amazons as tall, beautiful, powerful women, not man-haters or abusers.  I'm ok with being a tall, beautiful powerful woman! So feel free to stick that name tag on me anytime smile  I mean who wants to be small, weak, and ugly? :blink:  tongue...and if I've just been given a warped definition, I'll live in my blissful ignorance

#11 2004-10-03 02:38:35

theonestina
Website

HUGE < and i hate that when they people call me that cuz there like, " Eww your like huge, i would never want to be that tall"
My friends call me Giant or Freaky Deaky Gaint and i actually dont mind them... i actually call my self them sometimes lol

The Evilness of Red....so true to its color that you once drew from your veins to your heart to your evil eyes that once drew me apart.~<3~Stina~<3~

#12 2004-10-03 22:56:50

Xena 2000
Quite Tall
Website

Who's Abdul Jabaar?

I used to get called Skinny-ma-link, bean pole, and bean stalk at school.  I never found it funny, and still don't, I glare at anyone who calls me names and walk away.  Frequently hear them gasp in amazement and mutter something about it being a joke, to which I reply "well I didn't find it funny"  :angry:

[size=9][font=papyrus]I can't decide if life is passing me by, or trying to run me down ...[/font][/size]

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,Xena-spc-2000,white,pink.png

#13 2004-10-04 01:33:25

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

My kid brother is 6'7" and weighs about 275 lb. He is as strong as a bull. We used to call him "Andre" after the wrestler, Andre the Giant. He never liked it though. One time at a very big barbecue, a guy was hassleing my brother and started calling him Andre. Little brother warned him to stop. He did not. Brother hammered him on top of the head with his fist and the guy folded like tissue paper.  :wacko:

We don't call him Andre anymore.   lol

Archer

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#14 2004-10-04 03:58:11

BadKarma
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'6"
Website

Xena 2000,Oct 3 2004, 10:56 PM wrote:

Who's Abdul Jabaar?

Kareem Abdul Jabbar is a former member of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team. The time that he was playing 7 foot tall players were a little less common than they are now.

I never really minded it, but I used to be called 'Tiny' occasionally. Now, just a few stats: 6'6" tall, 315 pounds or so, size 54 jacket. Perhaps they were being a touch ironic?

I'm so much cooler online.
Brad Paisley

#15 2004-10-04 18:01:29

eldor
Tall
Website

I had forgot "giraffone" (wich is "big giraffe")... it was also due to my long neck

#16 2004-10-06 21:58:34

sasara
Website

I always hated when people would say, "Wow, you're really big!"  Um, thanks for the compliment?!?!? :huh:   

I'm sure they were trying to comment on my height alone, but, geez, couldn't they say, "Wow, you're really tall."  I don't mind that comment.

#17 2004-10-16 23:18:25

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

My question has always been why do people think it's ok to even mention your height? They wouldn't be well recieved if the walked up and said:"Wow you're FAT".
or Jees you have big B--Bs. Why do people think it ok to walk up to a tall woman and say, "My you're a big one!"

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#18 2004-10-17 01:32:45

talltec
Tall
Website

People,who call other people names are doing it to deflect attention from their own problems.

Two women,were discussing my height in a shop.

They were rude trailer-trash types.

I turned to them,and politely pointed out, that they were in no position to make remarks about me.

As I would never mention loudly in public: that they both had fat arses, no legs and cheaply dyed hair!

It's always trashy, insecure people that make remarks...it makes their sad lives easier to deal with somehow!

High heels are guaranteed to get you on your back, one way, or another.

#19 2004-11-19 06:26:24

njtallgirl
Website

I have been called Jolly Green Giant many times but some friends think of me as a Amazon woman which I disagree with someone here, can't remember thier name, that they are over bearing and trying to kick a man's ass.  Personally I am 6'1" and I am not your tall LANKY woman.  I played Volley ball and soft ball and I do have some meat on my bones but I am soft and very much a woman.  My nickname in school was Tree.  I let name calling roll off my shoulders because the shorter ones have just as much trouble and I find it a waste of time.   roll

[font=Courier]~~EVERYONE I MEET DESERVES TO BE GREETED WITH A SMILE..~~[/font]

#20 2004-11-19 07:24:00

BadKarma
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'6"
Website

When I was in high school, my buddie's mom used to call me 'Douglas'. I asked her politely, "What the hell are you talking about?" Turns out that I was always wearing green and I am really tall... Douglas Fir tree!

I'm so much cooler online.
Brad Paisley

#21 2004-12-16 17:35:33

Sixft9
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'9"
Website

and all this time I thought the douglas fir tree was the best christmas tree to buy I found that the Frasier fir is actually the best christmas tree to buy.  I know that has nothing to do with the nickname but it's in the same forest isn't it? 

Junior High I was Sasquatch due to the fact that I was 5'5" tall with size 16's

High School I was The Stork, I guess my cooridination left much to be desired when I ran down the football field.

College I was just Big (insert name here).  No one ever really messed with me in college, so if they did end up resorting to name calling they must have done it behind my back.

Most of the rude names are coming out now, as an adult.  You'd like to think that people grow up as they get older but for some the opposite is true.  It is really unfortunate.  I think most of it is that people might feel safer making comments now that we are adults.  Because as adults with familiy and business exposures we have a lot more to lose if we were to be arrested for kicking the daylights out of some shmuck that thinks it's ok to call me names in public.  We all have our breaking points and I haven't hit mine yet, but in the words of the great Mr. T; "I pitty the fool" that pushes me past my point of no return.

#22 2004-12-30 20:39:33

Sixft9
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'9"
Website

I honestly think the tolerance thing has phases.  When I was 18-19 I loved the attention, then in college it helped me get into bars and buy booze, but after college from around 23-27 people really started to piss me off.  Now at 29 i'm once again ebracing my height.  I can't figure out why I go into these phases but like someone told me when I was a kid, "sixft9 you are going to be tall your whole life, if you are bitter about it now you will be miserable for the rest of your life".

#23 2004-12-30 20:58:47

skyhigh
Very Tall
Height: 6'7
Website

My phases last little more frequent, rather on daily basis. Some days I'm happy to be tall, some days it doesn't bother me and some days height bugs me.

Kimmie, I got a feeling that maybe that guy enjoys that word a lot. You know.. some people constantly saying.. "you know".. some "i know, right".. some "its all good" etc Maybe his word is "freakish". Its sounds pretty annoying to me but don't let one guy screw your day. Look at yourself in the mirror and say something nice to yourself. Some people just don't have manners.

Blessed

#24 2005-02-13 21:00:58

Bamboo
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'7"+/or 2M
Website

thebostonbigguy,Sep 27 2004, 05:38 PM wrote:

For example:  I've often heard "Baby Huey!"  Now I don't look anything LIKE Baby Huey!

So.. I guess this is supposed to start a discussion, right?  Lets see. :-)

Thanks!

Jeff

hey jeff,
so lets have at this discussion....

why do you suppose people have called you 'baby huey'?
the only reference I can go on would be those cartoon ducks--huey & louey--but i don't see how that would make any sense...
unless maybe you're the "tall, duck & handsome" type that all the girls are always trying to find?? wink

or maybe you have similar looks to a young huey lewis type?
speaking of which--anybody know what huey lewis is up to these days?

ok--there's a couple of avenues of discussion to explore...talk amongst yourselves(as well as WITH all of us other talltalkers! wink )

what are you up to---besides my navel...(quote from a "Tip Topper's Tall Club of Detroit" t-shirt.)

#25 2005-02-14 01:10:19

nurse_marcey
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'3"
Website

Yeah, I'd like to know who "Baby Huey" is also.  I've heard other people talk about the character.  I'm too lazy to google it myself.

I've been tagged with numerous nicknames.  I remember being called "Jolly Green", and as a result developed an aversion to wearing the color green.  There are also the uncreative ones like "Amazon" and "Stretch".  Some people just need new material.

Having red hair, I've also been called the universal nicknmae for redheads, "Red", which developed into "Big Red" because of my height.  This was particularly irritating because of my objection to the word "big".

Other nicknames I had were "Crash" after the time I got injured playing hall sports in the dorm, and "Monster".  I earned "Monster" during a spring break ski trip in which I crashed into another skier.  He was so mad at me, he shouted "What are you, some kind of monster?!"  NOrmally, I think I would have cried, but the way he said it, in some sort of undiscernable, but goofy accent, made it hard for me to supress a giggle.

I do have to admit that I'm not totally innocent here.  I have come up with nicknames for people that were less than complimentary, like "Fist of Jesus", "Brawny", "Crazy Cartoon Head", and "Mr. GE Lightbulbhead".

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/nurse_marcey/3.jpg

Board footer