Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-20 21:51:23

EquestrianAdonis
Tall
Height: 6'6", 200.5 cm
Website

Tall child

I thought, the other day, that it had been a while since I last posted in that Tall Person forum.  I remembered my slightly embarrassing handle--noble as both horses and Greek Gods are, I am neither, for good or bad--and logged in.  I see it's been nearly five years since I last visited.  I am pleased to see some familiar names around--bad news Bob and Jheri, that I remember.  Quite a lot has happened to me in the intervening time; I have changed countries twice and importantly for what I am about to ask, I now have a son. 

He is tall.  This came as rather a shock to everyone except us.  For example, the midwife during the pregnancy.  For context, she had a 2m tall man and a 1.88m tall woman who are having a baby together in front of her.  She said with an entirely straight face that she was very concerned that he [the foetus] was growing so much.  Like much of the prejudice about talls, in both big and small ways, there wasn't really time to marshall one's thoughts together for a way to deal with this.  Instead, we had to submit to some slightly unnecessary tests.  All was of course fine.

Needless to say, the growth spurt has continued.  The little chap is now 16 months old and learning to walk, talk, climb, fiddle with things he shouldn't and chase the cat.  In the NL he is 1.5 standard deviations above the average for his height, in Norway he is 2 standard deviations above average.  So, the rather unsurprising position is established.

My question is, how might he be brought up to minimise the mental discomfort around height?  I received next to no instruction regarding how to deal with the sort of hassle we get*, or even just pointers on dealing with the practicalities.  It wasn't so difficult to sort out on my own, but there are still areas where I wonder if intervention earlier might have helped, e.g. physical development.

*though I think it's worse for women than men, see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksNvylC5ryg and other videos on her channel.

'No hour of life spent in the saddle is wasted'  W. S. Churchill

Board footer