Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-13 00:15:46

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

Real Life /r/tall

We've all had tall moments; things that have separated us from the rest of the herd. /r/tall is a sub-Reddit, for, about, and by tall people. This thread is for sharing those moments, or feelings, with those who understand them best.
-
When someone in a crowded bar is looking for me.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#2 2013-01-18 12:26:21

jheri
Extremely Tall
Height: 190 cm

Re: Real Life /r/tall

This morning I was shopping for some groceries and saw a very short woman trying to get a box from a tall shelf.  She was starting to climb some lower shelves so I went over and before I could ask her what I could get for her, she gave me a nasty looks and said "don't even think about it!"

'never had that response before.

#3 2013-01-20 22:05:52

"Bad News" Bob

I'm sure this happens all the time to some of our taller members because it happens to me on occasion.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#4 2013-01-20 22:08:47

"Bad News" Bob

jheri wrote:

This morning I was shopping for some groceries and saw a very short woman trying to get a box from a tall shelf.  She was starting to climb some lower shelves so I went over and before I could ask her what I could get for her, she gave me a nasty looks and said "don't even think about it!"

'never had that response before.

Jheri, I have to say I've never had that response, quite the opposite; I can count on someone asking me to reach something on a tall shelf about fifty percent of the time when I go shopping and not just at grocery stores.

#5 2013-02-28 14:55:05

jheri
Extremely Tall

I don't know if this wall street journal link will work because most of their articles are behind their paywall and I have access through my work

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … eadStoryNA

It is on regional jets.  I am not very familiar with them in the US, but they are common in Europe and really awful.  The seat pitch is tiny and there is no headroom.  The lavatories are nightmares too.  In the smaller ones, even upgrades to first class don't get you added legroom.  What I didn't realize is if the weather is bad they get delayed to big airports as the airlines give priority to larger airplanes if their landing slots are limited.

Something to avoid!

On a trip last month I was stuck in coach.  It was a trip I was paying for myself and I figured I could deal with the three hours.  The very short woman in front of me reclined her seat.  I asked her to not do that as it trapped me and she told me she paid for the seat and it was her right to recline it.  I kicked her often enough just to make it annoying.  The flight was bumpy and I was trapped there most of the time.

Last edited by jheri (2013-02-28 15:03:12)

#6 2013-02-28 15:35:42

"Bad News" Bob

Jheri, I'm very familiar with regional carriers, and their aircraft, I have two aquaintainces that are pilots for American Eagle. In the Southern US we call regional carriers puddle-jumpers and the jets are only slightly better than the turbo-props they replaced. The jets are much faster than the TP's they replaced, which would be great if the airlines used their speed to shorten travel times; but the airlines discovered if the jets travel at the same speed as the TP's, jets are far more economical, so the airlines are using them as an additional cost cutting resource. The pilots are actually graded on their fuel economy, so they have no incentive to get in a hurry if you know what I mean. Being on time, while important to the traveling public, takes a backseat to fuel economy. The planes are small, which wouldn't that bad if they got where they were going quickly, but they don't. I try to avoid them whenever possible, not just because they are small, overcrowded, and generally uncomfortable; but because I know regional carriers attract young low-hour pilots just getting started in commerical aviation. I like to know that the person hauling me are has a couple thousand hours under their belts as pilot in command; that's rarely the case with puddle-jumper pilots.

#7 2013-04-18 10:22:50

jheri
Extremely Tall

April 18 is High Five Day (there are probably days for everything).  My friend Colleen sometimes gives people high fives when she sees them start to look at her, so rather than a stare and a comment she could do without, she gets a smile or a laugh.  I tried it here a few years ago, but I think it works better in the US.  She says the trick is look at someone's elbow as you give it.  Here is her little video on it:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy8qaXbl … r_embedded

#8 2013-04-18 11:37:22

"Bad News" Bob

That's cool; never miss the opportunity to give someone a smile; and the best part about it, it's free.

#9 2013-04-18 14:00:13

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Height: 5'11"
Website

That was refreshing and fun to watch; especially with all this crap going on in the world. The only reason I would look or stare at her would be in admiration.

Sooner

#10 2013-04-18 16:09:37

"Bad News" Bob

Sooner wrote:

The only reason I would look or stare at her would be in admiration.

I think people who have been stared at their whole lives, go in one of two directions; they have either developed a thicker skin about getting stared at, or use it as a tool to meet the people they are attracted too. Granted I don't get stared at as much as some of my ultra tall buddies, but where they tend to be more tall and thin, I haven't been thin since I was in the eighth grade. I make no excuses for looking at people, places, or things that catch my eye, and my eyes are drawn to many things. If something is out of the ordinary, it catches my eye, if I see an attractive woman she catches my eye, so it should go without saying, but I will,  a tall, attractive woman is going to catch my eye, and I'm am going to look; depending of how tall she is, or how pretty she is, I may stare, but like Sooner said, it will be a stare of admiration.

#11 2013-04-18 16:39:27

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

Well put and exactly right, Bob. I believe some ultra talls are paranoid about some of the looks and stares they get and I am sure there are idiots out there that have such low esteem they make asses of themselves and say things to build up there own insignificance. I don't understand it and never will. I took my 6'6" friend (she has cancer) and her 6'2 daughter to a fine restaurant not long ago and made a point to glance around and see how many people notice them and me. When we got up to leave there may have been one person that gawked but it wasn't anything offensive. My friend is probably the nicest person I know and one of the most intelligent. I am lucky to be her friend.

Sooner

#12 2013-04-18 17:27:09

jheri
Extremely Tall

For the most part people don't stare at me or comment, but Danes are painfully polite.  When I was a teen the other kids were mean about it, but you could say the same for any kids who were different and I had pretty low self esteem which made me a target. Most of the tall women I know went through that and most are over it now.

I did go out and high five this afternoon and got some school kids to do it too. We ended up with maybe a dozen surprising a some Danes.  There were a lot of smiles and more when someone was happy enough that they brought out some cakes for all of us:-)

#13 2013-04-18 17:40:57

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

I didn't have height issues but I stuttered so much I could barely talk. Try that on for size some time. LOL

Sooner

#14 2013-04-18 17:55:49

"Bad News" Bob

No one will ever have to duck to walk through this door, at least, no one from this planet. I think someone's over compensating just a little bit.

#15 2013-04-22 12:42:51

jheri
Extremely Tall

"Bad News" Bob wrote:

No one will ever have to duck to walk through this door, at least, no one from this planet. I think someone's over compensating just a little bit.

I searched on giant in the link my brother sent earlier and found the car for the owner of this door

http://www.retronaut.com/2011/11/giant-studebaker/

#16 2013-04-22 13:52:13

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

Still wonder about that door.

Sooner

#17 2013-04-22 16:39:30

"Bad News" Bob

Sooner wrote:

Doors: Two bronze doors that each weigh 6 1/2 tons and measure 38 feet 7 inches high, almost 10 feet wide, and 11 inches thick. I'm sure they had something to do with the symmetry of the building.

#18 2013-04-22 16:46:46

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

Thanks, wonder if they open?:)

Sooner

#19 2013-04-22 16:53:57

"Bad News" Bob

Here's a site I found filled with Great Big Stuff. Some of which I would love to buy, i.e., the chess set.

#20 2013-04-22 21:14:44

jheri
Extremely Tall

"Bad News" Bob wrote:
Sooner wrote:

Doors: Two bronze doors that each weigh 6 1/2 tons and measure 38 feet 7 inches high, almost 10 feet wide, and 11 inches thick. I'm sure they had something to do with the symmetry of the building.

they need a cat door for lions

#21 2013-04-22 21:17:53

jheri
Extremely Tall

"Bad News" Bob wrote:

Here's a site I found filled with Great Big Stuff. Some of which I would love to buy, i.e., the chess set.

:-)

The guy who made my good bike sent this.  A new bike from the US for people starting at 198 cm ..  too big for me.  I remember that Spiker likes bikes, but I think his was a recumbent.

http://dirtysixer.wordpress.com

#22 2013-04-22 21:46:25

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

Could you ride that jheri?:)

Sooner

#23 2013-04-22 21:47:23

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Website

Sooner

#24 2013-04-23 01:29:41

KCClark
Height: 6' 8"

jheri wrote:

On a trip last month I was stuck in coach.  It was a trip I was paying for myself and I figured I could deal with the three hours.  The very short woman in front of me reclined her seat.  I asked her to not do that as it trapped me and she told me she paid for the seat and it was her right to recline it.  I kicked her often enough just to make it annoying.

Back in '95, I literally had to bounce myself down into a seat on a flight from LA to Phoenix (thank goodness it was a short flight).  My knees were planted into the seat back and my back had the seatback cushion compressed.  I was in pain.  When we got airborne, the women in front of me tried to put her seat back but as soon as she hit the seat release, she lurched forward.  My knees felt much better.  She tried pushing back but was going nowhere.  I told her my femurs were stronger than her muscles. 

I've carried volleyball kneepads with me on every flight ever since just in case I need some cushion between the seatback and my knees.  I've used them once but that time the stewardess took pity on me and put me in an empty first class seat just before we took off.

#25 2013-04-23 10:49:36

jheri
Extremely Tall

Sooner wrote:

It is undoubtedly too big.  My friend Colleen probably could.  A bike company made a special frame for her, but it there was some engineering work to get the frame right and some of the lengths were long.  On some of the really big Dutch bikes over here you see two horizontal tubes running across the top of the bike and the frames are always men's style rather than the step through mixte.  Both of my bikes have men's frames for a strong structure.  I don't weight much, but the lengths cause problems.

I looked up bicycle and Yao Ming because I think I remember one was made for him.  Several articles came up, but these are the best.  I'd be really interested in what Spiker would have to say, but I don't know if he reads this anymore. If someone has his email, maybe they could forward - I'm sure he has a lot of insight

Here is a bike that was made for Yao Ming.  There are many design flaws and it is unlikely he would be able to ride it without problems.

http://waltworks.blogspot.com/2010/12/f … -2011.html 

But here is a design someone made that would use the 36" tires.  It looks more like a real bike. 

http://waltworks.blogspot.com/2011/01/y … es-in.html

Board footer