Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-27 03:48:09

jheri
Extremely Tall
Height: 190 cm

a book recommendation

"Short: Walking Tall When You're Not Tall at All" by John Schwartz

Before you think Jheri has taken leave of her senses, let me explain.  Mr Schwartz is a science writer and legal correspondent for the NY Times.  He also happens to be quite short and decided to put out a book aimed at short teenagers.  In doing so he came up with something that is useful beyond teens and for anyone who might be different - or who knows anyone who is different.

He is really funny and writes in the first person.  He has a good elementary section on statistics and, more importantly, a piece on how to reason and be critical of information sources.  There has been a lot in the press about how good it is to be tall - money making ability, promotion, etc.  These studies struck a chord and were widely reported.  I remember reading some of them in The Tall Book and. when I read them, I found a few that weren't saying what was claimed at all - they had been reported out of context or flatly misreported.  The Short book goes into flawed reporting and how to detect it.

In addition to providing tools, he talks about how being different might forge a stronger person.  It doesn't matter if you are thin, heavy, short, tall, red haired, or have any one of a number of physical characteristics.  You can use them and hopefully make people understand you.

When I read it I saw a lot of myself, even though I don't happen to be a small statured male.  Sort of damn Jheri, you came out pretty well despite the teenage years.  I really wish I had this book when I was 12.

I'd recommend this book to a tall teen way before The Tall Book.  The age range is 11-14, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  If you give it as a present, you might want to take a read yourself.

Oh yeah - Mr Schwartz was much more successful at dating in high school than I ever was.

Last edited by jheri (2010-05-27 13:01:21)

#2 2010-05-28 10:46:14

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

Re: a book recommendation

Jheri,
Well done! A well-written review. We appreciate the time you took to share that with us. It sounds like a book we might want to get for our grand daughter when she is a bit older. I think she is going to be a tall blonde too.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#3 2010-05-28 13:12:45

jheri
Extremely Tall

I think one of the best ways to learn about yourself is to study issues others might be having.   By looking at those who are "different", we can learn a lot.  What I loved about the book was how applicable it is to any number of situations.

#4 2010-05-29 09:50:17

Bamboo
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'7"+/or 2M
Website

jheri wrote:

In addition to providing tools, he talks about how being different might forge a stronger person.  It doesn't matter if you are thin, heavy, short, tall, red haired, or have any one of a number of physical characteristics.  You can use them and hopefully make people understand you.

or it can provide a convenient and comfortable excuse for alienating oneself from society.
i think it all depends upon what each individual's intentions happen to be.

if ya want to be miserable, focus on misery..... if ya want to be happy, find the positives to any given scenario.
sounds awfully simplistic....but sometimes life really can become just that simple...when we choose to allow it to be.

what are you up to---besides my navel...(quote from a "Tip Topper's Tall Club of Detroit" t-shirt.)

#5 2010-05-30 12:49:26

jheri
Extremely Tall

Bamboo wrote:
jheri wrote:

or it can provide a convenient and comfortable excuse for alienating oneself from society.

if ya want to be miserable, focus on misery..... if ya want to be happy, find the positives to any given scenario.
sounds awfully simplistic....but sometimes life really can become just that simple...when we choose to allow it to be.

It is awfully simple, but it works so well. 

I think what impressed me about this book was not only that it tells kids to embrace what they have, but to not trust everything that is printed.  Even if it is in wikipedia:-)

#6 2010-06-14 02:13:04

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'6" or 1.98
Website

I'm finishing up on one book "Aztec" while reading another similar one "Shogun" and I'm about ready to start reading "The Lost Symbol."  The total pages of the three books will be well over 2000, so upon completion can I claim to be a vertically gifted reader?  Just curious.

Nobody is as smart as everybody

#7 2010-06-15 03:03:13

flatlander
Tall

Last weekend I finished "The Girl Who Played With Fire" and then started "Precious" (or "Push").  I liked "Precious" so much that I rented the movie to see how they would cast it, and deal with the horrible abuse portrayed in the book.  I liked the movie too..

#8 2010-06-15 21:56:07

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'3"
Website

Nelson Demille has a new one out -- it's a sequel to The Lion's Game called The Lion. I saw him on an interview today and he made me crack up! The interviewer asked how he handled the critics who don't like his work. He said, 'I kill them. No kidding the Newsday critic got two shots in the back in the new book.' I can't help myself, I thought that was hysterical! There are many ways to cope with disappointment I guess.

~It isn't breathing that determines whether you are living or not. - Rev. Sam~

#9 2010-06-15 22:11:08

jheri
Extremely Tall

Does anyone have favorite boring books for putting themselves to sleep?  I don't but should find one.  A friend of mine has an economics textbook that she has made it through three or four chapters in the past two years.  She says it is better than any sleeping pill.

#10 2010-06-21 02:03:02

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Website

jheri, when I read your question I was already thinking an economics book, then I continued reading your message.  Econ 101, 102, the more advanced the better the tool for getting some good sleep. I should know, actually got credit for about 30 semester hours of economic courses.

#11 2010-06-21 22:24:37

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

jheri wrote:

Does anyone have favorite boring books for putting themselves to sleep?  I don't but should find one.  A friend of mine has an economics textbook that she has made it through three or four chapters in the past two years.  She says it is better than any sleeping pill.

I can recommend Juran's Handbook on Quality. It is a huge, thick book with plenty of statistics, etc. That should put you to sleep. I have many others that deal with Quality Management that would make you doze off.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#12 2010-06-30 01:06:50

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Website

Okay, now that the weather thread got me thinking about a favorite town in Mexico for good weather, got to mention a book that I've recently finished reading (early this morning) named "Aztec" the story is told by an Aztec or Mixteca resident of Tenochtitlan  (Mexico City) and it's a historic novel that takes place in the late 1400s and early 1500s,  The book is very interesting, entertaining, different, and gives the reader another perspective of that era, the people, culture, and language.

#13 2010-06-30 03:30:14

BadKarma
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'6"
Website

jheri wrote:

Calculus textbooks and survey reference manuals. Zzzzzz

I'm so much cooler online.
Brad Paisley

#14 2010-07-02 00:08:09

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Website

Just finished one book, now I'm about to start another one that my brother sent me, "The Lost Symbol" and hope to enjoy it the same as the previous other two of the series.

#15 2011-12-04 03:22:36

jheri
Extremely Tall

Here is another book that some might enjoy. Hedy's Folly by Richard Rhodes.  It is on the actress Hedy Lamarr and her invention of spread spectrum radio during WWII.  Really fascinating!  I've read bits and pieces about her and have been curious.  She was the sort who was thrust into fame, but hated parties spending her time playing with ideas instead.  An amazing and under appreciated women.  Maybe it was the time, but her beauty made people underestimate her mind so she was dismissed.

#16 2011-12-04 16:24:11

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Height: 5'11"
Website

Excellent Boo, excellent!

Bamboo wrote:
jheri wrote:

Sooner

#17 2011-12-04 23:14:46

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

jheri wrote:

Here is another book that some might enjoy. Hedy's Folly by Richard Rhodes.  It is on the actress Hedy Lamarr and her invention of spread spectrum radio during WWII.  Really fascinating!  I've read bits and pieces about her and have been curious.  She was the sort who was thrust into fame, but hated parties spending her time playing with ideas instead.  An amazing and under appreciated women.  Maybe it was the time, but her beauty made people underestimate her mind so she was dismissed.

Jheri, I've heard two arguments concerning Hedy Lamarr and why she didn't get the credit she so richly deserved. One had to do with her being Austrian in a time when a certain Austrian Corporal had made all Austrians fairly unpopular. The second and probably more sound argument was that she was a female; and not just a female, but one of the most beautiful women in history. I think in her case her beauty was less blessing and more curse. She had a genius level IQ, which in this day and age would be a great plus; but even now her looks would be a hurdle between her, and people taking her seriously in any field of science. 
-
It should also be pointed out that her invention was not actually put into use during WWII, so while it was the foundation for future torpedo guidance systems, she was more valuable as a fundraiser during the war than as an inventor.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#18 2011-12-04 23:28:59

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Height: 5'11"
Website

She was hot, I'll tell you that!!

Of course, that was waayyy before my time.

Sooner

#19 2011-12-05 12:13:58

jheri
Extremely Tall

"Bad News" Bob wrote:
jheri wrote:

Jheri, I've heard two arguments concerning Hedy Lamarr and why she didn't get the credit she so richly deserved. One had to do with her being Austrian in a time when a certain Austrian Corporal had made all Austrians fairly unpopular. The second and probably more sound argument was that she was a female; and not just a female, but one of the most beautiful women in history. I think in her case her beauty was less blessing and more curse. She had a genius level IQ, which in this day and age would be a great plus; but even now her looks would be a hurdle between her, and people taking her seriously in any field of science. 
-
It should also be pointed out that her invention was not actually put into use during WWII, so while it was the foundation for future torpedo guidance systems, she was more valuable as a fundraiser during the war than as an inventor.

I finished the book and really liked it.  It is probably accurate to say her beauty created a huge bias.  People can't seem to deal with a beautiful woman who is smart.  In fact I think a lot of them have problems dealing with a smart woman in the first place.  I'm no beauty, but am a bit pretty and find some of this.  Except for people who know me, men tend to treat me as dumb.  Some women treat me the same way and there is a bit of jealously with that if they have a boyfriend or husband.  I've had some roommates who gave me very strange treatment when they had boyfriends.  This wasn't true when I was in high school and both sexes treated me as a freak.

#20 2011-12-05 14:19:17

"Bad News" Bob

Jheri, here is an article about the > Invisible Women of Science. If you scroll down you will find a very familiar name. I know bias against women in science still exist, but it is no where near as pervasive as it once was, and that is due in no small part to many of the women in this article. Sadly, I think women are still held to a higher standard than men, which basically means, female candidates for science positions have to bring more to the table just to get the same consideration as their male counterparts. As a father of two daughters that doesn't sit well with me, but I believe my girls are up for the challenge. My father taught me that when someone underestimates you, they are actually doing you a favor; because they are giving you a powerful weapon to use against them. I have found that to be very true in life, as well as in business; and it is a lesson I have passed on to my daughters.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#21 2011-12-06 00:56:34

goodgod
Tall
Height: 6'10 1/2", 209.5cm

I find it sad that this sort of inequality still exists in the western world. It's probably a result of some peoples insecurities. Less intelligent men wanting to maintain some form or superiority, even if it is just in their heads.

I imagine it exists more in everyday life rather than in the academic world. I've spent a lot of time in an academic environment and i've never seen this sort of mentality. Maybe that's just because I'm a guy though. At university, everybody wants to be there and everyone has a common goal, to excel at their chosen field of study. People are judged by their academic ability rather than their sex.

It should be noted that the person with the highest IQ in the world is a 65 year old woman from the US. Marilyn vos Savant has an IQ of 228. It's amazing what people can achieve when they aren't held back.

#22 2011-12-06 21:57:30

jheri
Extremely Tall

goodgod wrote:

I find it sad that this sort of inequality still exists in the western world. It's probably a result of some peoples insecurities. Less intelligent men wanting to maintain some form or superiority, even if it is just in their heads.

I imagine it exists more in everyday life rather than in the academic world. I've spent a lot of time in an academic environment and i've never seen this sort of mentality. Maybe that's just because I'm a guy though. At university, everybody wants to be there and everyone has a common goal, to excel at their chosen field of study. People are judged by their academic ability rather than their sex.

It should be noted that the person with the highest IQ in the world is a 65 year old woman from the US. Marilyn vos Savant has an IQ of 228. It's amazing what people can achieve when they aren't held back.

I've been overly sensitive about this for some reason recently.  I need to figure out how to ignore it more and just work away at things.

#23 2012-01-02 02:02:36

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Website

I've started reading a new book, finished another one this morning.  The new book is new to me, however it was written back in the early 90's.  The author came to the US from Cuba when she was two years old in 1960.  Along with her parents they settled in New York where she grew up, attended college, and worked for a famous magazine or two.  Her first book is the one I'm reading now, its a good one.  Anywho, one of the characters in the book is described as a little taller than dos metros, depicted as having a mean demeanor, and when he walks along the street he is compared to a giraffe.  Now I have to take issue with the author, because many of the tall people I know are kind, gentle, and caring, not mean.  I know the author was trying to paint a picture in the mind of the reader by comparing the walk of the tall man with one of giraffe, but there are other and better ways of describing a tall person.

#24 2012-01-02 03:33:55

"Bad News" Bob

DosMetros wrote:

I've started reading a new book, finished another one this morning.  The new book is new to me, however it was written back in the early 90's.  The author came to the US from Cuba when she was two years old in 1960.  Along with her parents they settled in New York where she grew up, attended college, and worked for a famous magazine or two.  Her first book is the one I'm reading now, its a good one.  Anywho, one of the characters in the book is described as a little taller than dos metros, depicted as having a mean demeanor, and when he walks along the street he is compared to a giraffe.  Now I have to take issue with the author, because many of the tall people I know are kind, gentle, and caring, not mean.  I know the author was trying to paint a picture in the mind of the reader by comparing the walk of the tall man with one of giraffe, but there are other and better ways of describing a tall person.

DM, we're going to need a names if you're going to recommend books. We may never get the chance to read them, but at least will know the names if indeed we are interested. I've just finished the book 'History of the World'; it's basically trivia book presented in chronological order. I'm getting ready to start 'Flags of our fathers' and after that I'm slated to read 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'; but I want to see the movie before starting it.

#25 2012-01-03 00:58:53

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

Oh, I LOVED the Dragon Tattoo series--it takes a while to get into the first one, but give it a chance. About 40-50 pages in you get hooked. I saw the Swedish version of the first film and really think the US version is probably better--darker. I have yet to see it, though. Be forewarned--the author had experience in his past of brutality towards women he loved, so his novels are *extremely* graphic with violence against women--sexual and otherwise. But they are necessary, and I usually would not say that.

I keep toying with cracking into the Game of Thrones series--Marc swears I'll love them... And I just discovered one of my favorite authors, Stephen Lawhead, has a son who is actually a bit better than he is at writing a fun tale! Ross Lawhead. Both make me want to visit the UK and take a tour of their favorite sites--both have studied British folklore and history extensively and wind those into their stories in fascinating ways. The elder Lawhead's version of the Arthurian legend is wonderful.

Board footer