Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#26 2010-05-02 14:58:35

jheri
Extremely Tall
Height: 190 cm

Re: fashion for talls:-)

Yesterday was my brother Jon's birthday - he turned 29 and said all of the birthdays from here on out will be that number.

He's really amazing and has been my biggest supporter over the years. I had a very tough time in school with the other kids and he was always there to help and he even beat up a few guys who were hard on me.   When I went out on my own he was always the one cheering me on.  Plus, his wife is awesome and is the first dark haired person in the immediate family - a big improvement over a boring bunch of pale skins like us.  My niece has very black and curly hair.

Anyway, what is funny about our family is that I'm the only one with height.  No one knows where it came from as the next tallest member of the extended family is a cousin who is maybe 184 cm.  Jon was about 178, but lost a few after a bad motorcycle accident.  It bothered him when his little sister caught him in height, but we all got used to it.   That was a good lesson for me - that your friends and family get used to everything about you and don't notice after awhile.

#27 2010-08-04 16:59:59

jheri
Extremely Tall

Someone I know in the US who has trouble finding jeans just wrote that she got a pair from Indie Denim that works out well.  She isn't particularly tall, but she does have problems getting jeans that fit and she has bought custom jeans before.  I've never used them, but have heard of a few positive experiences, one being from a tall friend.

In the past they would have you visit them and use their body scanner, but I don't see any reference to that on their site anymore.  They have a question section on fit and then you customize, order and wait.  The person who just sent mail said the first pair didn't fit, but they have a policy where you can send back with corrections and they will get it right.  She said it was perfect on the second try and the quality was pretty good.  Maybe not as good as you would want for jeans that expensive, but this is much less than regular custom jeans.

I checked their blog and it has some good general information on jeans.  I don't know if they can do work for extra tall people though.

http://www.indidenim.com/blog

Their blog has an interesting post on plus sizes which discusses the problem of sizing.  It is worth reading even if you aren't plus sized.  It makes the statement that thin people tend to be more alike and heavy people less alike.  This makes sizing at larger sizes difficult.  I think the same is true for the tall people I know - we have a variety of body types other than just tall and that, combined with low numbers makes it difficult.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/magaz … ize-t.html

A friend of mine who is pretty thin and tall is entering cooking school and it is now clear she'll have to spend a fortune on custom chef's outfits.

#28 2010-08-04 17:01:23

jheri
Extremely Tall

jheri wrote:

Someone I know in the US who has trouble finding jeans just wrote that she got a pair from Indie Denim that fit perfectly.  She isn't very tall, but she does have problems getting jeans that fit and she has bought custom jeans before.  I've never used them, but have heard of a few positive experiences, one being from a tall friend.  My jeans tend to be those that are close enough with some modifications from a taylor. 

In the past they would have you visit them and use their body scanner, but I don't see any reference to that on their site anymore.  They have a question section on fit and then you customize, order and wait.  The person who just sent mail said the first pair didn't fit, but they have a policy where you can send back with corrections and they will get it right.  She said it was perfect on the second try and the quality was pretty good.  Maybe not as good as you would want for jeans that expensive, but this is much less than regular custom jeans.

I checked their blog and it has some good general information on jeans.  I don't know if they can do work for extra tall people though.

http://www.indidenim.com/blog

Their blog has an interesting post on plus sizes which discusses the problem of sizing.  It is worth reading even if you aren't plus sized.  It makes the statement that thin people tend to be more alike and heavy people less alike.  This makes sizing at larger sizes difficult.  I think the same is true for the tall people I know - we have a variety of body types other than just tall and that, combined with low numbers makes it difficult.  Here is a good article linked to from the blog post.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/magaz … ize-t.html

A friend of mine who is pretty thin and tall is entering cooking school and it is now clear she'll have to spend a fortune on custom chef's outfits.

Last edited by jheri (2010-08-04 17:06:05)

#29 2010-08-04 23:12:21

EquestrianAdonis
Tall
Height: 6'6", 200.5 cm
Website

On a related but possibly tangential point, have many of us tried High & Mighty or Rochester Big and tall?  Both are in London, but I understand that High and Mighty is also in several other European countries, and one assumes that the Rochester in that name refers to the one in America rather than the one in Kent -- so presumably that one exists in the USA as well.  There used to be one called Cooper's, though I believe this closed down some time ago, in London anyway. 

I used to shop in High and Mighty but have not in the last few years.  Having sad that, a suit I bought there, and an overcoat have lasted considerably longer than I anticipated when buying them.

'No hour of life spent in the saddle is wasted'  W. S. Churchill

#30 2010-08-04 23:24:20

EquestrianAdonis
Tall
Website

One more thing -- have just had a look on the link posted by Jheri, the Jeans size calculator is thorough and seems sound.  I have yet to order from them but they asked all the right questions in order for me to get the right size and shape.  I am impressed smile

#31 2010-08-05 03:19:40

jheri
Extremely Tall

EquestrianAdonis wrote:

One more thing -- have just had a look on the link posted by Jheri, the Jeans size calculator is thorough and seems sound.  I have yet to order from them but they asked all the right questions in order for me to get the right size and shape.  I am impressed smile

It looked pretty good to me.  It is probably better to be in the same country to handle returns in case the first try doesn't work,, but it is an option and is much less expensive than real custom jeans or bespoke.   I don't know about anything like this in Europe.

#32 2010-08-06 07:10:17

EquestrianAdonis
Tall
Website

I don't know of anything like this in the EU either -- at least not via the internet.  My tailor is excellent and could put together anything I asked for though I suspect not for US$145 -- which I think is about £80.

Just a thought relating to the earlier posts -- people tell me lederhoesen out of context "look quite gay" -- is this true or generally or is is just my friends who think this?

Last edited by EquestrianAdonis (2010-08-06 07:12:38)

#33 2010-08-07 19:40:18

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

Just a shout out to my girls who are 6'3" and under--Miss Alice is a new designer, and the jackets have nice, long sleeves. Decent price point for a high fashion sort of thing, too!  I just got mine from Merge--you can see pictures at http://mergeboutique.com/  They are extremely fashion-forward, and I think a lot of fun smile Lots of the stuff at that store is super long in the sleeve; I get most of my sweaters there when I can get one for a decent price.

#34 2010-08-07 21:26:42

jheri
Extremely Tall

Artistamy wrote:

Just a shout out to my girls who are 6'3" and under--Miss Alice is a new designer, and the jackets have nice, long sleeves. Decent price point for a high fashion sort of thing, too!  I just got mine from Merge--you can see pictures at http://mergeboutique.com/  They are extremely fashion-forward, and I think a lot of fun smile Lots of the stuff at that store is super long in the sleeve; I get most of my sweaters there when I can get one for a decent price.

Her line looks very pretty.  It is good that more designers are doing this although I don't like their prices.   A nice trick for those who are model height is that you can wear show seconds if you are thin.  These can be very inexpensive, but you probably need to be around NYC to get them.  I'm taller than the upper limit for most models, but I find I can wear them with minor modifications.

I really like finding old clothing and figuring out outfits.  That type of street fashion is very appealing to me.  There are some very good resources online for seeing what others are wearing and getting ideas so you can build your own sense.  Some of the things I've put together are awful, but I'm getting better. 

It would be nice if we all had the money to do the bespoke thing where there is no such thing as sizes.  My poor friend with her chef's uniform really needs to go that route as there are no sizes that cover her.

#35 2010-08-07 21:55:36

TallPoppy
Quite Tall
Height: 6'1/2"

Artistamy wrote:

Oh, *so* looking forward to getting to the US! I will be a shopaholic for the first few months, I can see.

#36 2010-08-09 00:38:38

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'3"
Website

TallPoppy wrote:
Artistamy wrote:

Oh, *so* looking forward to getting to the US! I will be a shopaholic for the first few months, I can see.

When will you be here?

~It isn't breathing that determines whether you are living or not. - Rev. Sam~

#37 2010-08-09 00:53:22

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

Yeah--I've given up on finding cheap long-sleeve tops. I used to always wait for sales, but living here, the long stuff is gone before the sale ever happens. So I just don't buy much, add a piece here or there and now I've got a decent wardrobe built up smile  I'm not talented enough to sew something or make a sleeve longer, plus I'm broad in the shoulder, so vintage doesn't work well for me. I've become lazy and just wait till something great shows up at Merge that isn't killer on the budget. And a store down the block from her has cheap basics like t-shirts and tanks. I just stock up on those there as those are the things that wear out the fastest. My other stuff I've had for years and it still looks new and chic.

My philosophy is scrimp where you can--like t's, then have a few great pieces (like that jacket) to bring the outfit up a notch. I manage to get jeans half off at Nordstrom Rack smile But even then, I only have 4 pairs because they are still more than Old Navy or Levi's. Shoes--I rarely look for sales. I do browse the Rack for off season deals, but it's hard to score these days. So many designers have cut back on sizes, so the 11 rack is pretty dull sad

#38 2010-08-09 04:57:56

TallPoppy
Quite Tall
Height: 6'1/2"

LT-1 wrote:

When will you be here?

Not for ages yet - early-mid-next year is my current goal. April-ish. Of course, that depends on me finding a job and getting sponsored.

#39 2010-08-09 13:45:14

jheri
Extremely Tall

There is a lot of variability in body shape and taste.  It is good we have the Internet to make the distances smaller. There are even a few blogs that try to cover tall women's clothing.  Like anything else you probably don't like everything, but at least it is there and I think more women realize there are a few more options.

#40 2010-08-09 17:23:26

EquestrianAdonis
Tall
Website

Just a little post-script on the indidenim website, I went through the process but didn'yt lace an order, and just today they sent me a message offering me US$15 off the price.  I am sure they would do that for others, too smile

#41 2010-08-09 18:56:43

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

I ordered from indidenim before for my husband--and though the fit questions are good, the fit was awful. We tried twice, and neither time fit well. Their pockets were also too small on the butt. Bigger jeans need bigger pockets. They just have standard pockets that they use for all sizes. Hopefully they have matured as a company and worked out the bugs, but be aware, you may be disappointed. At least their return process is very easy!

#42 2010-08-10 13:27:45

jheri
Extremely Tall

Here is a little street fashion from Paris a few months ago.  Everything but the bag is from second hand shops and has been altered.  I like adding ornaments a lot, but my sewing ability does not go much beyond that.  I use my tailor to deal with alterations.  The bag is my own idea.  I think tall women do very well with big bags, which is great for carrying things.

These photos do not show it, but I have stockings that I have sewed flashes of blue lightning onto:-)  I know I am successful when women I don't know stop me to talk about the outfit rather than my height.

So what do you like to do for outfits?  I ignore a lot of the advice for tall women as I think people believe we want to minimize our apparent height.  I think that is silly.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/jherijheri/photos/sf1.jpg

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/jherijheri/photos/sf2.jpg

Last edited by jheri (2012-01-06 12:51:12)

#43 2010-08-10 19:31:21

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Website

I love the bag -- I love the outfit! Is the jacket suede? Did I understand correctly you got the jacket at a second hand store? Jeez, now I wish I knew where to buy it. Now explain the dress. . . that is a dress under the jacket - correct? You have an awesome sense of style. Are you considering fashion as a career? I think we have a burgeoning fashionista among us! Bravo and thanks for sharing. I love it!

#44 2010-08-10 20:13:56

jheri
Extremely Tall

LT-1 wrote:

I love the bag -- I love the outfit! Is the jacket suede? Did I understand correctly you got the jacket at a second hand store? Jeez, now I wish I knew where to buy it. Now explain the dress. . . that is a dress under the jacket - correct? You have an awesome sense of style. Are you considering fashion as a career? I think we have a burgeoning fashionista among us! Bravo and thanks for sharing. I love it!

The jacket is suede.  I bought it in Brooklyn when I was in NYC in March for about 40USD.  It had a nasty tear in it and the zippers were bad, but those could be fixed.  There are a few very good and inexpensive leather workers in Christiana, which is the free hippie part of København.  I can sketch on paper and they can easily make designs like the crosses on the arms.  The jacket is modified quite a lot and the shop also repaired the rip so it is almost gone. They also had some zippers that completely kick ass. 

There is short black dress that comes down a bit further than my butt, but not much.  It was way too short and made for a small woman, so the darts were moved and new sleeves were made for it so it looks ok. The fabric is amazing so I bought it to work with it  It was very cheap.  It needs stockings so I added blue flashes of lightning that do not show here 

The weather is such that you think of layered clothing a lot and I use layering in some fall and spring outfits.

I like bags a lot, but only have three.  When these photos were taken I saw a woman with this wonderful bag and asked to borrow it-)  I would hate to think what it must have cost. 

Many of my outfits are black and I need to start understanding colors more. 

Maybe we women can have a discussion here of what looks good and bad.  I certainly want to learn more and those who aren't tall have very different ideas. You are not supposed to wear monocolors like I do and dresses or skirts to you butt are considered wrong.  I am not a fan of conservative clothes.

I'm not really into shoes that much, but I am of a size where I can find them. I buy overstocks at the end of the season and sometimes modify them.  I found some nice boots for my horse blanket coat and hammered a lot of shiny steel studs into them.  THAT was a fun evening!

Last edited by jheri (2010-08-10 20:16:24)

#45 2010-08-11 21:00:30

EquestrianAdonis
Tall
Website

Thanks for the photos Jheri -- I can't comment on the attire as I know little about clothes but speaking for myself I can look fair in riding kit or in a suit but that's as far as it has gone to date.  Many must already have said it but I must say you photograph well too.  Lucky you! smile

#46 2010-08-12 00:19:39

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

Jheri, I showed your pictures to my daughters and they both fell in love you your jacket & shoulder bag.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#47 2010-08-12 02:39:10

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

Jheri,
I don't pretend to know anything about fashion but I know when something looks good. That outfit looks good. Very well done!

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#48 2010-08-12 02:46:30

jheri
Extremely Tall

"Bad News" Bob wrote:

Jheri, I showed your pictures to my daughters and they both fell in love you your jacket & shoulder bag.

Tell them they should go out and experiment on their own!  You make a lot of mistakes at first, but try and find designs that make some old jeans or a vest or something else look interesting.  I found this shape on my sleeve in a book that showed some old swords and daggers.  The book had been sitting on a desk in the library.  I traced it and then  drew a better design and took it to a leather worker.  They made two in a half hour and it was very cheap.  If I had the tools I could have done the same myself.  But you can modify with a lot of materials. 

It is good to do this with old clothing as you make mistakes, but when it works it is much better than wearing something from a good shop.

They should also talk to each other and friends and learn what colors and shapes look good on them.  Accessories are a good place to start adding ornaments.  I like to draw my outfits to think about them.  Tell them to look at some of the street fashion blogs and watch people on the street who seem to have a sense of style.  http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/  is a good place to start.  There are things I like and dislike, but I then ask myself why I like or dislike them and try to think about what might look good on me. 

I used to complain a lot about not being able to find cute clothing, but I took it into my own hands.  Some of it is a disaster, but it is *my* disaster and I learn from it.  And sometimes there is something really nice.  Slowly I am figuring out tall, thin and pale with very few curves....  I have a friend who is short and very curvy, some say very dangerous curves, and an olive complexion with black curly hair.  She is a real beauty. We talk about what looks good on each other and I have a pretty good eye for dressing her and she has great suggestions for me.  I think it is important to talk about these things with people who are very different.

Last edited by jheri (2010-08-12 02:49:10)

#49 2010-08-12 10:31:08

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Website

jheri wrote:
"Bad News" Bob wrote:

Tell them they should go out and experiment on their own!  You make a lot of mistakes at first, but try and find designs that make some old jeans or a vest or something else look interesting.  I found this shape on my sleeve in a book that showed some old swords and daggers.  The book had been sitting on a desk in the library.  I traced it and then  drew a better design and took it to a leather worker.  They made two in a half hour and it was very cheap.  If I had the tools I could have done the same myself.  But you can modify with a lot of materials. 

It is good to do this with old clothing as you make mistakes, but when it works it is much better than wearing something from a good shop.

They should also talk to each other and friends and learn what colors and shapes look good on them.  Accessories are a good place to start adding ornaments.  I like to draw my outfits to think about them.  Tell them to look at some of the street fashion blogs and watch people on the street who seem to have a sense of style.  http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/  is a good place to start.  There are things I like and dislike, but I then ask myself why I like or dislike them and try to think about what might look good on me. 

I used to complain a lot about not being able to find cute clothing, but I took it into my own hands.  Some of it is a disaster, but it is *my* disaster and I learn from it.  And sometimes there is something really nice.  Slowly I am figuring out tall, thin and pale with very few curves....  I have a friend who is short and very curvy, some say very dangerous curves, and an olive complexion with black curly hair.  She is a real beauty. We talk about what looks good on each other and I have a pretty good eye for dressing her and she has great suggestions for me.  I think it is important to talk about these things with people who are very different.

Jheri, don't take offense because I think I'm in a sour mood this morning, but what looks good on a overweight, blonde, middle aged, ultra tall woman? I'd like to trade in my entire wardrobe and start over. Shopping. . . . yes, that might cure me.

#50 2010-08-12 12:02:17

jheri
Extremely Tall

LT-1 wrote:

Jheri, don't take offense because I think I'm in a sour mood this morning, but what looks good on a overweight, blonde, middle aged, ultra tall woman? I'd like to trade in my entire wardrobe and start over. Shopping. . . . yes, that might cure me.

First off I am not an expert, but I am learning more what works for me and also for my friend.  Here is an approach.  I would love to get more specific and maybe you can tell me where my ideas are good and bad and I can do the same.

One of the things I do is try to find elements that I like.  I start by looking at women of average size with my body type and thinking about shapes and cuts that are flattering.  Layering is important for someone like me as it distracts from my lack of curves.  It can be useful for other body shapes, but perhaps for different reasons.  Then I worry about fabrics and colors and accessories.  For the height part I worry about the clothing fitting at the right places and having enough length, but often you can compromise on the length a bit, if alterations are made to change the shape a bit.  I don't worry a lot about the design of clothing for tall as long as it fits my shape.

The tall part becomes important as very little really fits.  I am on the small side of clothing made for tall women and most everything is for someone who would weigh a bit more.  For me I had more luck modifying regular clothing made for "tall" women even though my tall is taller than that.  You and I are the same height, so we see eye to eye:-)

This is where I may have a somewhat easier job than you.  For thinner women the variation in body proportions is smaller than for plus sizes.  This is a major problem in the industry and I think you need to find a good tailor for that as well as being tall. 

As far as designs that look good I like to layer a lot and this is one way to deal with height as it refocuses attention.  My short and curvy friend has tried it and we both agree it does not look good on her.  She also can't use big accessories, which both of us happen to love.  There is a lot of compromise in this.  Some things you love won't work, but there are other things that almost always will on you and no one else can do it.

I will think about it more.  My recommendation is to find a close friend who really knows you and get the girl talk going.  It was very liberating for me to ignore the tall "rules" and just try to think what might be pretty.  I then found there was nothing on the rack even at places like Long Tall Sallys.  Now the conversation moves to someone who can make alterations.

I have exchanged emails with a woman in the US called Krista.  She runs a tall woman's clothing blog and website and tracks sales.  She also likes to put together outfits and has an offer to work on coming up with starting places for outfits for tall women.  Send her a note and get her recommendations.  You may or may not like them, but if you don't you have learned a bit more.  Here is a post of her's where she makes the offer:  http://tallclothingmall.blogspot.com/20 … utfit.html

Last edited by jheri (2010-08-12 12:04:14)

Board footer