Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-05-15 11:22:35

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

Re: Neat Stuff !

bikerbabe wrote:

I just cleaned the kitchen; stocked the fridge with cans of soda (all pointed a certain direction); the milk jug handle is pointed in the right direction...the lid on the dish washing soap is closed and the salt and pepper shakers are lined  up evenly on the counter...

then I sit down to the computer to relax and I get MORE OCD!!!!! ARGH!!

BBabe, don't you mean C D O?

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#27 2009-05-15 22:40:16

bikerbabe
Very Tall
Website

OCD: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. All three of my men have it to some degree and I see signs in the granddaughter. I am surrounded!

#28 2009-05-15 23:41:54

"Bad News" Bob

bikerbabe wrote:

OCD: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. All three of my men have it to some degree and I see signs in the granddaughter. I am surrounded!

I have OCD as well, although I hide it pretty effectively. If you come to my house and look closely you would see all the evidence you would need for a diagnosis. Every screw in every switch plate in the entire house points the same way. In the pantry every can, box, and bag is in alphabetical order and categorized by shelf. All the drapes are drawn the exact same measured amount, and the blinds are all opened to the exact same angle. Brick-a-Brack and table decorations are measured and place using a protractor, speed square or ruler. The hangers in all the closets are spaced two inches apart. Drinks in the refrigerator all have their labels facing forward and the shelves in the frig are all categorized. The breakfast room and dining room chairs are all pushed in and spaced the exact same distance apart when not in use; I made a gauge tool to speed this up, because using a ruler took to long. However, most people who visit just think the house is very neat and clean; in fact the only person that ever noticed is the mother of one of Sam's friends, and she has a PhD in psychology. She noticed within the first five minutes of her first visit, which isn't surprising to me because she would make a great case study for OCD herself. Remember Jack Nicholson's character from 'As Good as It Gets', that's Ann in a nutshell.

When I said; "don't you mean CDO", it was alluding to a joke my daughter Sam told me: "I don't have OCD I have CDO, with the letters arranged alphabetically, like they should be."

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#29 2009-05-15 23:41:58

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'6" or 1.98
Website

Did you see the movie "As Good As It Gets?"  One of my favorites with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt.  Talk about OCD, Jack's character could have written the book.

Nobody is as smart as everybody

#30 2009-05-16 01:19:16

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

Babe isn't kidding. I admit to having some "eccentricities " that Babe doesn't understand. My desire for things to be a certain way (the right way) are too much for her sometimes. On the other hand, whatever the opposite of OCPD (obsessive compulsive personality disorder) is, that is Babe. Where I have a need for order, symmetry and logic, she tends to desire disorder and chaos. It bugs me even more than she realizes. I have had to learn to let things go...to pretend not to be bothered by things that still bother me. Even so, I can't help being who I am. Yes, I was bothered enough by the way she puts the soda cans in the fridge dispenser to tell her how it should be done. I'll also bet ten bucks I can find more than one lid or cap still undone somewhere because she doesn't care enough to close them.

I also have mild Tourettes which is related to OCPD. No, I don't bark like a dog or curse in public. In fact I have overcome most of the symptoms over the years. My affliction was mostly tics which I was able to keep to myself such as making a small noise in my throat. When I was younger I felt compelled to do the tics in sets of six. Six clicks of the throat or six times clicking my teeth ever so quietly. The compulsion was to do it six times perfectly except I was never satisfied that it was quite perfect so...I did it again and again and again. I outgrew that one thank heaven but one tic is usually replaced with another. One that I have not quite gotten rid of is to see a word or phrase in print and read it backwards. For instance I saw the word Universal at the start of a movie earlier and of course I pronounced the word lasrevinu (las.revinu).

It isn't all bad. My constant quest for perfection has led me to do many things very well that others can not do. While I know how to lose gracefully, I always strive to win or be the best. This has helped me on the job and in other situations. When I went back to school nights and weekends years ago I ended up teaching the second semester of Statistical Process Control. The instructor said I knew the material better than he and asked me to take over for him. He paid me cash for the job. Of course this was off the record and with the consent of the students who said I did a great job.

I know this post sounds like I'm a real nut case but I don't tell people about it. You folks are family so you have a right to know I'm not quite right...in case you haven't noticed.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#31 2009-05-16 03:22:57

bikerbabe
Very Tall
Website

I didn't get the CDO joke because I have the opposite disorder which seems to be lack of obsessing and total ignorance of the order of the universe. Maybe chaos disorder is what it is.  Things just don't bother me.   I would like to be obsessively neat but I just can't. It's hard to believe that Arch and I get along so well because in this area we are total opposites. I drive him crazy and he does the same to me.  It took Arch two years to get me to hang the TP the right direction.  I still squeeze toothpaste from the middle so we have separate tubes. His bathroom is spotless and everything is in order. Mine is always a mess and half the time I forget to close the window before leaving for work.

The bottom line is that everyone has their niche. Those with OCD make excellent surgeons, engineers, scientists etc because they are so detail oriented. Us "chaos driven" people need you logical people to bring us down to earth because we are focused on the  frivolous side of life instead of the details.

Last edited by bikerbabe (2009-05-16 03:23:54)

#32 2009-05-16 04:38:51

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

I just found what could be the saving thing for my dog, Sabaka!  Truman came home with me with a couple of blends from Green Tripe (of 'Dirty Jobs' fame). I found it smelly and gross--hard to deal with for a girl who had never heard of feeding raw, much less of tripe!  So I phased into a much less stinky raw blend to feed. Truman just didn't like it for long--I've had to keep changing meat types and such all along. Sabaka got sick about a month ago with tummy upset. So I took her off of kibble as she wouldn't touch it and began to cook for her. She's been on chicken and rice, or chicken and millet with a supplement ever since. Not even treats excite her!  Then I brought home this tripe stuff--I got a blend of organs, muscle meat, tripe and stuff like gullets and tracheas (yum). My gosh, you'd think I just brought home a batch of chickens ripe for the killing!  Both dogs dove in and ate till the tube was gone!! What a shock! 

I guess that goes into the rotation, though I think I may feed it to Sabaka more often--it's good for her digestion and joints. I've already seen massive improvement since taking her off of kibble, can't wait to see what this does for her!

Blech!

#33 2009-05-16 09:51:43

Bamboo
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'7"+/or 2M
Website

bikerbabe wrote:

I didn't get the CDO joke because I have the opposite disorder which seems to be lack of obsessing and total ignorance of the order of the universe. Maybe chaos disorder is what it is.  Things just don't bother me.   I would like to be obsessively neat but I just can't. It's hard to believe that Arch and I get along so well because in this area we are total opposites. I drive him crazy and he does the same to me.  It took Arch two years to get me to hang the TP the right direction.  I still squeeze toothpaste from the middle so we have separate tubes. His bathroom is spotless and everything is in order. Mine is always a mess and half the time I forget to close the window before leaving for work.

The bottom line is that everyone has their niche. Those with OCD make excellent surgeons, engineers, scientists etc because they are so detail oriented. Us "chaos driven" people need you logical people to bring us down to earth because we are focused on the  frivolous side of life instead of the details.

b'babe, i'm with you on everything you just said---EXCEPT for the toothpaste....i don't have OCD, but seeing the tube sqeezed in the middle....might as well run some fingernails down a chalkboard!!

sounds like you & archer have done a fine job of keeping each other "balanced".

what are you up to---besides my navel...(quote from a "Tip Topper's Tall Club of Detroit" t-shirt.)

#34 2009-05-16 10:59:02

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'3"
Website

wrote:

BBabe, don't you mean C D O?

Okay, when I saw this comment, my immediate reaction was -- BNB, that's just WRONG! I took it as if someone has OCD and then they saw the letters mixed up to CDO -- it would drive them crazy! Now you see how my mind works. It's always trying to figure out the puzzle. Life's a puzzle to me. I don't know how that relates to this conversation except to say over the years I've realized so clearly that being a part of humanity includes brain function and everyone's brain functions differently. BNB, I would've never known. . .Arch, my son has Turette's and it's interesting that you mention "being the best" as a driver for you. He has that -- almost to a fault. If he can't be the best he shuts down completely. Right now he's at aeronautical school and he's top 5 in his class. I hate to see what would happen if he wasn't! My son's tics manifested mostly in movements that he could hide, but my worst moment when he was in high school was when a teacher called him out and told him to spit out his gum. He replied he didn't have any gum -- it was a jaw tic that made his mouth move. She wouldn't continue the class until he came to the front of the room to spit out his gum. He was mortified. It was horrible for me as a mom. And believe it or not, I was so angry I could not even address her for fear what I might do to her if I did. Many teachers are not properly trained on learning disabilities and their associated disorders. That was my experience with teachers anyway. I was so glad the day he graduated high school. The torture was over for him. Ah, I don't even like to think about it. Bbabe, I'm much more like you and I give you credit for at least trying to keep order for Arch's sake. It's almost like I must have disorder -- perfectly placed cupboard items would drive me nuts! lol

~It isn't breathing that determines whether you are living or not. - Rev. Sam~

#35 2009-05-16 12:16:42

Archer
Website

Whew! What a relief. I thought I had really bared too much that time. I mean I'm the guy who posed in his boxers and in a towel. I'm Bio-hazard man for crying out loud. But I asked BikerBabe if maybe I had revealed a bit too much this time. I figure a lot of people think your a nut or really strange if you confess to these kinds of things. It seems Bad News Bob and I have more in common than we knew.

LT, I know you understand the Tourettes Syndrome if your son has it. It can cause you to get hung up on a single phrase or word and lose track of what is going on. It also, as you said, drives you to perfection. My tics were also mostly hidden from view. My private Hell if you will. My parents took me to an eye doctor when I was pretty young because I was constantly blinking (probably six times in a row). Anyway the doctor said there is nothing wrong with this kid's vision. My parents would then tell me to stop blinking. I couldn't for a while but eventually I probably replaced that with another tic that was less noticeable. Years later, when I became aware of Tourettes, I realized what the blinking had been.

While I was a student in O.R. Technology my instructor was observing me while I was scrubbed in on a surgery. Afterward she told me I had done a perfect job and that was the problem. I couldn't understand how you could be perfect and still be criticized for it. Her point was that at the end of the operation my Mayo Stand looked as it did at the start of the surgery. Surgeons typically would toss instruments back onto my stand causing it to be in disarray. At the earliest opportunity I reorganized it in text book fashion. The reason was so I could lay my hands on anything the doctor wanted in a heartbeat. She felt I was wasting time doing this. We agreed to disagree. I have a lifetime of stories like this. I am sure your son has learned to minimize the negatives and cash in on the positives of Tourettes.

As Babe may have mentioned, our sons have inherited some of these traits. I know it runs on my Dad's side of the family in the men. My Dad's uncle was a bit of an eye blinking, throat clicking mess but a wonderful guy to know. To my knowledge none of my three brothers have this. Looks like I was the lucky one. wink

#36 2009-05-16 15:17:46

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Website

Yes, well, NOTHING infuriates me more than people making fun of people with Tourettes. It's just NOT funny. It's a horrible condition and those who have it live with the stigma -- like yourself -- you try to hide the symptoms which my son did, too. His tics are exascerbated by stress and school is so stressful. He, too, blinks too much. Sometimes he would move a tic from something noticable to something less noticable like you said. He would often be found cracking his wrist or his knuckles. This was not a bad habit -- it was his tics. Ugh, I cannot tell you the pain I have experienced at the ignorance of this condition. It really makes me sad to think people can be so misunderstood and sometimes society condones the misunderstanding by poking fun. Ultimately, I think my son is a stronger person from the experience, but it is a hard fought battle. I think it is hereditary. My father had it, although no one knew. We just thought he cleared his throat a lot. After my son was diagnosed, I realized my dad had it. We used to make fun of his constant throat clearing too. We didn't know. No worries about sharing. I'm glad you did. It's an important topic that I think people should be sensitive to. We're all different, but that doesn't make one better than the other. Not at all.

#37 2009-05-16 16:42:07

bikerbabe
Very Tall
Website

I can totally relate to you and your son. We got our oldest diagnosed when he was playing in a basketball game. We noticed that he did the pill-rolling motion with his fingers when he was supposed to have his hands up waiting for the ball.  He went through a bad patch when he had echolalia- having to repeat things that were said  over and over til he got it exactly "right". His tics rotate from shoulder shrugs to teeth clicking, jaw popping etc now that he is older. Like you and Arch said, these are "hidable' tics that only he knows. His OCD comes out in his work when he is doing tile and carpet--nobody does a better job than him.

Our other son had OCD also but his manifests in weirder ways. He used to be methodically neat in just a couple areas. He had a SPAM collection and a MUG ROOT BEER COLLECTION and when he was told to clean his room, which always looked like a landfill, he would rearrange and dust off those two collections on the shelf and really believe his room was clean.

I wish to heaven that I was more of a neatnick. I have dust bunnies older than my granddaughter.

#38 2009-05-17 15:37:59

bikerbabe
Very Tall
Website

I just had funny example of our situation with OCD vs Chaos. When Arch pulls the truck in and out of the garage our dog just moves a bit to the side and is literally inches away from the truck. He knows that Arch always pulls in and out exactly the same way and he knows just where to stand to be out of the way.

I drove the truck to the store this am and each time the dog was at the farthest end of his tether around the side of the house, about 15 feet from the truck. He doesn't trust me!! LOL.

#39 2009-05-17 15:39:29

Starshine
Very Tall
Height: 5' 10"
Website

Smart dog.

#40 2009-05-17 17:09:38

"Bad News" Bob

BBabe, in mathematics there is something called the 'Chaos Theory' it's definition is long and complicated with a bunch five dollars words I won't bother you with here. It all basically boils down to a phrase that most of us are familiar with: "there is a method to our madness". The 'Chaos Theory' simply seeks to reduce madness to a formula. Well, good luck with that.

I had an OCD moment today while looking at the visitor cards and hymnals in the row in front of me. The cards were fanned out like someone holding a hand of cards and none of the hymnals were turned in the same direction. Granted, that was only a minor distraction, but a distraction none the less. I sometimes wonder why my brain works the way it does and I'm sure CJ wonders often why my brain works the way it does, but I learned long ago that there are two things you should never worry about. "Never worry about the things you can not change; and never worry about the things you can." Sounds so Jamaican doesn't it.

#41 2009-05-17 17:21:26

BadKarma
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'6"
Website

Jah, mon.

I'm so much cooler online.
Brad Paisley

#42 2009-05-22 10:32:52

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Website

Nice! This is what I should be doing this weekend~

http://themathematicsofglamour.com/2009 … ly-unique/

#43 2009-05-23 22:23:30

Archer
Website

Have you heard of Three Wolf Moon T-shirt?

#44 2009-05-24 13:49:32

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Website

Archer wrote:

Have you heard of Three Wolf Moon T-shirt?

Gotta love the internet!

#45 2009-05-28 21:16:49

"Bad News" Bob

The Real Time > National Debt Clock. The category that scares me most is the Debt Per Citizen; they arrive at those figures by dividing the entire national debt by the total number of citizens. That includes every man, woman, and child in the USA even infants and newborns.

#46 2009-05-29 00:27:18

Archer
Website

I'd like to take care of that national debt thing. Where do I send a check?

#47 2009-06-12 04:17:47

"Bad News" Bob

RAILROAD TRACKS

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used? Because that's the way they built them in England, and English expatriates built the US railroads.

Why did the English build them like that? Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

Why did 'they' use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing? Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England, because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads? Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (and England) for their legions. The roads have been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads? Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore, the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with it?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horse's asses.)

Now, the twist to the story: When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRB's. The SRB's are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah. The engineers who designed the SRB's would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRB's had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRB's had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass. And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important? Ancient horse's asses control almost everything... and CURRENT Horses Asses are controlling everything else.

#48 2009-06-13 00:29:35

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'6" or 1.98
Website

Now that's funny, interesting, too!

Nobody is as smart as everybody

#49 2009-06-21 13:18:44

Archer
Website

BN Bob,

Have you ever been on Tail Of The Dragon? A friend of mine trailered his Harley down this weekend. He was taking his family down for a visit with relatives in Tennessee and decided to haul the bike so he could run over and "Ride the dragon". Three hundred eighteen curves in eleven miles.

#50 2009-06-21 17:36:35

"Bad News" Bob

Arch, my friend Mark is a member of the Tarheel Mini Cooper Club and they make a pilgrimage to the Dragon every spring. Mark and his wife will frequently take day tips up to Dragon and then hit the Blueridge Parkway then spend the night where ever they happen to end up. He's tried on several occasions to get me to ride the Dragon with him; but so far our schedules just haven't meshed. After hearing him talk about riding the Dragon it's certainly something I'd like to do; although I'm sure I want to do it with Mark behind the wheel if you catch my drift.

Board footer