Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#51 2008-03-03 15:24:48

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

Re: Weather

We also live in the shadow of a dormant volcano--Mt Ranier.  They keep predicting an eruption, but we'd just get ash where I live; the whole city of Tacoma, however, would be swept away in the pyroclastic flow as it was built right on the ancient path of the last eruption--smart, huh?   Earthquakes are also part of life here, though not as bad as CA.  I live in a slight fear of Marc being killed in a bridge failure during rush hour as the bridge he takes regularly was built in 1948 with a 50 year life span.  One good earthquake, and it's on the bottom of the lake (it's a floating bridge).  I hope it happens in summer so Marc can at least swim to shore w/o hypothermia!

I feel the same twinge as I return home to Seattle, Poppy--so green here as well!  My friend who lives both in NZ and here says the two are very similar in appearance, though NZ is a bit more extreme. 

Amy

#52 2008-03-04 00:30:50

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'6" or 1.98
Website

That's interesting about Mt. Rainier. I've only seen Mt. Rainier from a distance, and it's a beautiful sight, but I don't think I'd like to be anywhere close when she blows, and hopefully that's never.  Speaking of mountains and the weather, in Spanish they say Russian Mountain (Montana Rusa) to mean a roller coaster, and that's exactly what we've had this winter.  The winter roller coaster continues,  over the weekend the weather was absolutely gorgeous, however, tonight the tornado dodging continues, and it will be back to the frigid temperatures tomorrow.  Oh well, I'm sure spring will be here soon, I hope.

Nobody is as smart as everybody

#53 2008-03-04 05:08:27

TallPoppy
Quite Tall
Height: 6'1/2"

LT-1 wrote:

Wow, Tallpoppy, thanks for that visual post. Sounds so beautiful to live there minus the fear of a dormant volcano erupting. I love beautiful landscape. I feel so much better when my surroundings are beautiful. You're lucky. Have fun at the BBQ! What do you do for a living? LT :-)

I am a medical writer - I write assessments of clinical trials of drugs for a web-based database.

Turns out the BBQ was a bust - it was pouring with rain today! and will be for the rest of the week... we ended up eating at work, and having a promise to go to the beach on the next sunny day to eat iceblocks. That'll teach me to rub in the whole summer-while-the-rest-of-the-world-has-winter thing. smile

#54 2008-03-04 05:09:34

TallPoppy
Quite Tall
Height: 6'1/2"

Artistamy wrote:

I feel the same twinge as I return home to Seattle, Poppy--so green here as well!  My friend who lives both in NZ and here says the two are very similar in appearance, though NZ is a bit more extreme. 

Amy

I might have to visit Seattle one day - check out the home of grunge and Grey's Anatomy. smile

#55 2008-03-04 12:13:26

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

We had a beautiful weekend. 70 F  and a little windy but otherwise very nice. Yesterday we got rain and had flash floods. Now, as I write this, we have lightning & thunder, sleet just now changing to snow. We already have a quarter inch of ice frozen to everything overnight and they are predicting 9 inches of snow. BikerBabe is staying home today. I will take a stab at getting in to work but if I do, I may be stranded there this evening. We'll see.

Ready for Spring!!!

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#56 2008-03-04 16:11:45

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

TallPoppy wrote:

I might have to visit Seattle one day - check out the home of grunge and Grey's Anatomy. smile

No grunge these days wink  You'd be welcome any time--especially if we move and have a real guest suite in our house.  Right now, it's the studio in the side yard--comfy, but no plumbing. We're also home to the worlds most hated software company that is only popular b/c they undercut all competition, or purchased them, Starbucks (but lots of us prefer independent roasters), Boeing, Amazon, and soon you can put Tableau Software up there as it'll be the next billion dollar company from here (thats my husbands company--they are now at 60 employees, with new people every week). Cheeky with the last one, of course, but we're hopeful. 

I'd personally love to trek all over NZ someday--once we have enough frequent flyer miles to go business class, and once Roland actually gets married, we'll be down there!

Amy

#57 2008-03-04 22:43:25

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

Well the Doofuses' at our local TV station once again missed the weather forecast by a mile. Today, according to them, was supposed to be partly cloudy with 10% chance of light evening rain showers. What we got was a frog strangling rain squall that flooded the streets. At one point I couldn't even see my next door neighbors house. It's a good thing nobodies life depends on these idiots forecast.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#58 2008-03-06 00:00:42

Archer
Website

I did make it in to work and back home again yesterday. Unfortunately, we lost our electricity at 10 am yesterday and it was not restored until 12:30 am this morning.

We had to transfer all our frozen foods from the house to the freezer in the garage and placed all our refrigerator's contents in coolers also in the garage. We have a gas range so Babe was able to fix a nice meal that we ate by candlelight. I then kicked her butt at two games of Yahtzee and we then read our books by candlelight and flashlights until about 9:30.

We went to bed early and instead of our king-sized water bed with no heater working, we used the guest room which has only a regular full-sized bed. I hung off the end and could not get comfortable so I think I woke up every 15 or twenty minutes to turn over.

There are still a lot of people without power. Trees and limbs are down everywhere. A big tree on our property was completely uprooted by the water-soaked ground and heavy ice coating. Today nearly all of it has melted off but they are predicting snow for Friday again. Sheesh!

#59 2008-03-06 01:59:31

Kofte
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'2''

Archer I feel you and BB's pain.  Although I'm an urban guy but I lived alot in the country. City people don't know how valuable it is to have a gas stove, so you can cook on the stove top when the power goes.

candlelight dinners without heat and power and no water: I know it well. I keep 5 gallon jugs of water to make the toilet work when the power is gone and there is no electricity for the pump in the well just another fact city folks don't know-

But it can be fun, but i found it was "funner" when younger, a generator helps  alot but a whole house generator is primo.

Carefull planning, the right booze, and the right food, and the right company , makes it all seem ok.

#60 2008-03-06 15:00:35

"Bad News" Bob

There's definitely a different mind set between living in the city and living in the country. My house on High Rock Lake was wired for a generator. The generator was connected to the well pump, the refrigerator, the upstairs heating/air-conditioner, and the den, where the TV was located. The ovens and cook-top were gas, as was the water heaters.  We also kept two weeks worth of canned goods in the pantry. Because on average we would have 2-3 major power outages per year. Every time it would snow the power would go out for hours if not days. Thunderstorms were equally as likely to knock out the power. Our problem was that we were on the sixth leg from the power sub-station and if sometime caused a power outage on any of the first five legs all power below that point was out. After big storms like hurricane Floyd we were without power for days. Hugo left us without power for twelve days. Living in the city is 180 degrees different from our years at the lake. Now the power almost never goes out, although I still have this house wired for a generator. Grocery stores are within walking distance and water pressure is never an issue. Still all of my kitchen equipment is gas, so are my water heaters. Now we are on the same power grid as the county courthouse so our longest power outage has been measured in hours instead of days and all that is needed for clean up after a storm is to get the debris to the curb; although, I miss the raging bonfires we used to build on the beach to burn the debris. For those of you that have never lived in the country it is worth the extra hardships as long as you prepare yourself for the occasional problems, like power outages. Arch's description of his evening without power made me homesick for my days in the country.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#61 2008-03-10 17:32:13

"Bad News" Bob

I just came across this video from Antarctica it's a brief glimpse into what they refer to as >
Condition 1 weather. < I can only hope and pray that Condition 2 weather isn't worse.

#62 2008-03-19 10:40:46

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'3"
Website

Who's getting hit with this terrible weather? It's supposed to rain all day here today. It's supposed to get much worse by evening. I'll be looking for the rainbow. How about you?

~It isn't breathing that determines whether you are living or not. - Rev. Sam~

#63 2008-03-19 13:48:26

"Bad News" Bob

LT, it looks as though we may have lucked out on the worst of the weather; as it seems to be staying on the other side of the mountains, as it heads north. It's currently cloudy here, but the Sun looks like it trying to peak through. The good news is that it's supposed to get into the mid 70's today.

Last edited by "Bad News" Bob (2008-03-19 13:55:58)

#64 2008-03-29 22:28:58

Archer
Website

Babe and I have been unable to post lately. The power supply went bad on our PC. We could check emails at work but our Computer has been waiting for a new power supply.

We were not fortunate enough to miss the bad weather lately. After having gone through the ice storm and subsequent lengthy power outage, we received 8 inches of rain in 30 hours last week. Yep, the power went out again. There were high winds and flash floods. I had to drive 25 miles to get to work due to closed roads. My normal trip is 10 miles.

Two days ago we had another T-storm which brought a few more inches of rain. Since the ground was already soaked there were flash floods again in short order. Oh yeah, our power went out again. This time it was only for a couple hours. I looked out our back door at the woods behind us and notice flickering reddish lights against the clouds over the woods. I commented to Babe that it looked as though aliens were landing back there or else there was a fire on the next road behind us.

It turned out that my cousin's stepdaughter, Mallorie had driven through what she thought was a little water over the road. The water turned out to be six feet deep. Her car was swept from the road and after submerging completely, it lodged against a tree. The fire department came out and one of the young men waded in to get her. He said he didn't know what she was standing on but she was holding on to a tree. and as he got closer the water was at his knees, then his chest and finally he was swimming. He carried her out on his back. It was then that they realized she had been standing on the roof of her car.

My cousin and his family live only a quarter mile from us. We are so thankful that Mallorie is okay. I am still struck by the fact that after all the preaching you hear about NOT driving through moving water over the road, some people still do it. During the previous week's monsoon of 8 inches, a car with three young girls in it was swept from the road. All three got out but two of then went back to retrieve a purse. When the third girl turned around after reaching dry ground, the other two were gone. Their bodies were found a couple days later.

Please, folks do not drive through flood waters. It is just too dangerous. It takes only ten or twelve inches of moving water to sweep a car from the road and into a deep ditch, creek or river.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Misc/morningafterwreck4.jpg
The morning after you can see the roof and rear window of the car after the water level had dropped.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Misc/wreck-30hoursafter.jpg
Mallorie stood on the roof of the car which was completely submerged. She held onto the tree behind the car and screamed her head off.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Misc/100_1690.jpg
Anyone want to buy a good used car?

Take care,
Arch

#65 2008-03-30 00:26:26

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

WOW!  I heard it was bad in MO--my in-laws went there (St. Louis) for Easter and were outside the hard hit areas, thankfully.  Truly amazing pictures, Arch!

Amy

#66 2008-03-30 02:48:04

"Bad News" Bob

Arch, I'm glad Mallorie is alright. I guess this will be a valuable life lesson for her. Here's a favorite quote of mine that you can pass along to her: "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." I think it's by Will Rodgers, but it couldn't be more true or more appropriate to Mallorie's situation.

#67 2008-03-30 12:54:36

Archer
Website

Bob,

I think you're right about the quote. Will Rogers comes to mind on that one. A nephew was in a two-car crash on Thanksgiving day a year ago. Both vehicles were destroyed but no one was seriously injured. My nephew was at fault. "You now have something valuable that you didn't have before the accident." I told him. "What's that?" "Experience!"

You'll never believe it. It started raining after midnight. We have had a thunderstorm all morning. The forecast for the week is rain and thunderstorms everyday except Wednesday. We are under flood and flash flood warnings and advisories.

We've had aver a foot of rain in the past week. This is the wettest March I can remember. The sad part is it will probably stop and we'll have a drought the rest of the summer.

Oh well, at least the power hasn't gone off y

#68 2008-03-30 16:19:26

"Bad News" Bob

The weather here was beautiful all week; in the mid-seventies every day until yesterday. That all changed dramatically and wouldn't you know my oldest daughter had a Challenge League soccer match at 12:30pm. At game time it was 42 degrees with light rain and a not so light North East wind. The kind of wind that turns all but the very best umbrellas inside out. Yeah, it was a blast sitting in the cold rain watching a game that I barely understand. It took me two hours to completely warm up after I got home and I can assure you the experience didn't make me like soccer one bit better. Today we are having a repeat of yesterday: even though I know we should be grateful for any rain we get, since we've been under drought conditions for the last four years. Still watching it rain out the window and having to sit in it at a sporting are two different things.

#69 2008-03-31 11:18:16

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'3"
Website

I'm glad Mallorie's all right. What a traumatic experience that must've been! Wow!

~It isn't breathing that determines whether you are living or not. - Rev. Sam~

#70 2008-03-31 14:43:24

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'6" or 1.98
Website

Some scary pictures, Arch.  Good advice about not driving through water covering the road.  Sorry to hear about the accident, but I'm glad to hear that Mallorie is okay.

Nobody is as smart as everybody

#71 2008-03-31 22:43:43

Archer
Website

Unbelievable weather we are having here this month. I'm going to have to sign off now. No kiddin' They just issued a tornado warning for our area.

Later,
Arch

#72 2008-03-31 22:51:51

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Height: 5'11"
Website

Tornado season is starting here in Okie land. "Nados" dropping out of the sky like raindrops.

The stormchaser are out in the vehicles chasing them down and the friggin weathermen on TV interrupting our programming all the time- we hate them. All the assholes have to do is print a streamer on the bottom of the screem but hell no we have to see what "Viper One" has showing on their stupid maps.

Not in a good mood, will be vistiting the rant forum soon.

Sooner

#73 2008-04-01 00:37:52

"Bad News" Bob

Good Luck Arch. I've seen three Tornado's close up and can't say I've learned to like them very much. If I can find the pictures I'll show you the damage from the one that went between mine and my neighbors house. It wasn't much bigger than some dust devil's I've seen, but it blew over the top of my brick sea wall and tried it's best to twist several huge trees out of the ground. I saw the squall line advancing across the lake and then out of the gray I saw the tornado when it was less than 150ft. from my house. My girls were just getting out of our indoor spa at the time; I grabbed them both and ran to the basement as hard as I could run. We got to the basement just as it passed between our houses. I lack the words to describe how frightening it was for me and the girls. They had nightmares for several years after that and were just paralysed with fear every time it rained..

#74 2008-04-01 01:28:32

Archer
Website

We came through that one alright. Lots of wind, lightning and rain but no twisty clouds. We got an inch of rain in short order and it is still raining but the worst has past. Everything is flooding. You've heard the expression, toad strangler? Babe just opened the front door to look out and a frog was on the step. Evidently he was looking for higher ground. lol

#75 2008-04-01 14:42:41

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

We had golf-ball sized snow, massive lightning and sleet yesterday, oh, and nice sunny weather for half the day.  Completely crazy, but I guess March came in like a lamb, had to leave like the baddest lion possible!

Here's to a lovely April!  Can't wait for the tulip festival!

Board footer