Tall Talk

Online Community for Tall People - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-02 14:17:47

Archer
Height: 6' 5"
Website

Weather

We got about 10 inches of snow Thursday night and Friday morning. It blew pretty hard and is drifting. Babe and I are snowed in for the moment. Our driveway is about 1/8 th mile long and I made it about 40 feet from the garage yesterday morning. I probably could have fought my way out to the road but I wasn't even sure the road had been plowed yet and I have 12 miles to go to reach work. So... I pulled back into the garage, went in the house and called work to let them know I wouldn't be in.

My plan today is to take the ATV up and down the driveway to pack the snow down a bit. When the sun hits it today and tomorrow, it should melt a little. I might need to get out for some Super Sunday Supplies!

Anyone else get snowed in?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/archerev/Links/Stickman2-1.jpg

#2 2008-02-02 14:32:24

Sixft9
Extremely Tall
Height: 6'9"
Website

Re: Weather

Nah, we actually got pounded by rain as the weather system passed us to the West. 

So what your saying is that your new DODGE can't drive through that much snow???  My FORD could do it, in reverse, on two wheels. LOL.  Just kidding.  I wish I had a four wheeler as it would make getting out on the ice much easier to set up my tilts. Went Ice fishing last sunday and the first hole we dug was 6 inches, and it went down from there.  My last hole was about 3 inches and I could feel the ice shifting below my 360 lb frame.  It was freaking scary dude.  Anyways, enjoy your snow day and be sure to root for the Pats tomorrow even though FORD is the official truck of the New England Patriots.  LOL

#3 2008-02-02 20:15:14

Archer
Website

The Ram could do it in reverse too...if it didn't have those fancy street tires on. Something with a bit more aggressive tread will go on there next time. Anyway, I did take a stab at it this morning and, tires slipping at times, made it out to the road just fine and then on to the village road which was plowed clear. All the way into town and back.
I stopped on the way back and helped a man with a little kid. They were riding an ATV and had it stuck in the ditch. I grabbed the rear rack and dragged it out of the ruts so he could drive it back onto the road and back home.

#4 2008-02-02 20:29:23

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

Cold and rainy here, and the sun goes down early.  Miserable.  We got snow on Monday, about 3 inches. Closed down the city, schools all were closed and were on delayed opening the following day.  They don't have enough snow plows, so back roads become sheets of ice that don't melt for ages due to the shade from the big evergreen trees everywhere!  But many of them fell down in our big storms last year, so it's not as bad. 

Then it warmed up and rained.  And rained.  And rained.  This is why we go see the sun every winter!  I did see the sun a bit today, but it's still a damp 41 degrees--feels so much colder than those -80 nights I had in NY growing up!  Just seeps into your bones.

Amy

Last edited by Artistamy (2008-02-02 20:30:11)

#5 2008-02-03 03:16:13

Starshine
Very Tall
Height: 5' 10"
Website

The weather geeks hyped this storm in Indy, and we got squat.  1" snow and 1/8" ice.  That's it.

#6 2008-02-03 12:51:30

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'3"
Website

It rained like the dickens here on Friday, but that was it. Temperature was warm yesterday, around 45 degrees. Today it's much colder though. I might make a fire during the game.

Good luck digging out Arch and B-babe.

~It isn't breathing that determines whether you are living or not. - Rev. Sam~

#7 2008-02-03 13:23:27

allenp412
Quite Tall
Height: 6'8"
Website

Somebody needs to be hated. I guess that will be me for a while. Running the AC again today because its in the mid 80s.

I think I need a shrink....er.....need to shrink!

#8 2008-02-03 21:30:46

"Bad News" Bob
Height: 192.25cm

As far as weather goes I couldn't have asked for a better day than the one we've had today. It's 69 degrees outside which is one degree warmer than I keep it inside year round, so basically it's break out the shorts and go for a nice long walk weather. While still to cool for mosquitoes and gnats, like I said perfect weather.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#9 2008-02-03 22:44:21

Archer
Website

Well we had 47 degrees today and just had a short-liver T-storm 20 minutes ago. Our ten inches of snow is beat down to about an inch or two now. Good deal. Looks like we're in for mild, wet weather the next few days. We need it after the summer of drought we had last year.

#10 2008-02-04 03:21:26

flatlander
Tall

Today it was a balmy -29 (but wimpy celcius) with the wind chill.  A far cry from last week where it was a little below -40 and then the wind on top.  I hate winter. - but there are no bugs or tornados.

#11 2008-02-04 04:03:53

nurse_marcey
Extremely Tall
Website

It was pouring rain here on Friday, which managed to wash away most of the snow that has been on the ground since the start of December.  Today is was in the 40s... warm enough to dress up teh girls and send tehm outside to play for a little while.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/nurse_marcey/3.jpg

#12 2008-02-05 20:50:44

Artistamy
Vertically Gifted
Website

In the last hour, the wind has gone crazy here!  Pretty huge gusts--makes me nervous with the number or really tall cedars around my house.  They survived the past wind storms, they should be okay now...I hope!  If one falls on the house, I guess we need to add a second story!

Amy

#13 2008-02-05 21:28:06

TallPoppy
Quite Tall
Height: 6'1/2"

I am jealous of those of you who have snow - it never snows in Auckland! I haven't seen snow in five years (since I lived in London). However, it is a beautiful sunny summer day, at the moment, so I am not complaining too hard. Plus it's a public holiday in New Zealand - the anniversary of the day the Maori signed the treaty with the English that screwed them over, landwise. I am thinking of going to the beach later.

#14 2008-02-06 03:22:42

Archer
Website

Rain, rain, rain, wind, 60 mph gusts, thunder & lightning. Our power was off for two and a half hours this evening. We had a couple of thunder claps that sounded like nuclear explosions. We were extremely dry all last summer and the lakes were very low. With the melted snow and now inches of rain, we are quickly getting caught up! We have severe T-storm warnings, tornado watches and flash flood warnings in place. We seem to go from one extreme to another. The past two mornings we had fog so thick the visibility was near zero in places. Oh yeah, they're talking snow showers tomorrow.

#15 2008-02-08 16:11:12

Sooner
Vertically Gifted
Height: 5'11"
Website

Hawaii was horrible. Rained there a couple of days to COOL me off. Got drizzled on playing golf and even snorkling! The whales weren't having a good time either, always jumping out of the water and coming up to the boat.

If I ate coconut shrimp once I ate it ten times and the "Shops a Wailea" were too expensive.

I could go on and on but it would bring up bad memories.

Sooner

#16 2008-02-08 17:18:51

spiker074
Quite Tall
Height: 223cm
Website

tuesday my snowblower got picked up by a repairman and returned tuesday night. I'd been looking for a place to take it but they only repair namebrand ones like toro. This is a BRUTE. It's got rubber tracks and an 8hp tecumpseh, 5 forward and 2 reverse speeds. Anyways, I got some replies from self employed small engine mechanics on craigslist working for $25 instead of $60 per hour in a shop.

Tuesday night through wednesday we got 18" of snow. Thursday morning I blew my 150ft driveway, my elderly neighbor to the north, and 2 other ends of driveways with the "gift" from the street plow. Needless to say at 7'4" using a snowblower with handles built for someone 5'6", my back is sore from torqueing it around to change directions or just to hold it so the front of it would clear close to the pavement.

The city is still digging out today. I'm tooling around in my ford aspire beating out people with urban assault vehicles that don't know how to drive them, or maybe it's my snow tires too. I brought a shovel with my car yesterday in case I or someone else needed help getting stuck, then took it the 3 blocks across campus to work, figuring the grounds crews were overwhelmed so I shoveled away some ice at my building. They were impressed to see a whitecollar guy doing this stuff.

An now it's supposed to go down to negative fahrenheit with 50mph winds this weekend. Wonderful.

The tall clubs aren't doing  a spring break weekend as far as I can tell. How about talltalk doing an informal one some place warm and on a beach?

Dave Rasmussen

#17 2008-02-08 23:36:26

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'6" or 1.98
Website

Sooner wrote:

Hawaii was horrible. Rained there a couple of days to COOL me off. Got drizzled on playing golf and even snorkling! The whales weren't having a good time either, always jumping out of the water and coming up to the boat.

If I ate coconut shrimp once I ate it ten times and the "Shops a Wailea" were too expensive.

I could go on and on but it would bring up bad memories.

Sooner, I know, you're just trying to make us feel better about all the bad weather we've experienced on the mainland.  Just kidding, I hope you had good time despite some of the weather inconveniences...DM

Nobody is as smart as everybody

#18 2008-02-08 23:46:14

DosMetros
Vertically Gifted
Height: 6'6" or 1.98
Website

spiker074 wrote:

An now it's supposed to go down to negative fahrenheit with 50mph winds this weekend. Wonderful.

The tall clubs aren't doing  a spring break weekend as far as I can tell. How about talltalk doing an informal one some place warm and on a beach?

That's awesome, I don't know how you deal with that kind of weather.  Anyway, come on down, I'll fire up the engine to the party wagon, and we can drive on down to a Florida or an Alabama beach, bring some TT members with you.

Nobody is as smart as everybody

#19 2008-02-10 18:08:11

"Bad News" Bob

What's the deal with the wind today. We've had sustained 25 mph wind since 9am with wind gusts up to 48mph. I looked at the >National Wind Map < and it looks like the central US from Minnesota to South Carolina is being affected. It's a beautiful sunny day except for the wind. I wouldn't normally complain about a day like today; except we've had three birds blown into the side of our house and killed. That tends to be a bit depressing.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

#20 2008-02-10 18:56:09

Archer
Website

We had a couple of tornados passed just South of us this week. One farmer lost his pole barn. I don't mean just destroyed. I mean lost. Doesn't know where any of it is. There were several trucks blown off the highway and some houses had roof and siding damage including a school which lost a section of roof on the gymnasium during a basketball game. Nobody was hurt though the game was canceled. Our power was out for a few hours but we seem to have escaped any damage to our home. It was scary for a while though. At the peak of the storm, I tried to open the back door to take a look at the trees swaying in the woods. The suction from the wind yanked the door closed. At that point, we went to our safe spot in the center of the house. Weird weather for February. Yesterday we were at 52 F. Today it is 20 F and we are just getting a few snowflakes. Tomorrow through Tuesday morning we are under a winter storm watch. I am sooo ready for Spring.

#21 2008-02-10 22:46:07

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Website

It's freezing cold and blustery wind out there today. It's been relatively mild around here up til today. Wow. What an arctic blast!

#22 2008-02-10 23:00:40

nurse_marcey
Extremely Tall
Website

Yesterday I was at the "Brownie Blizzard" - Brownie troops from Fairfield and Litchfield County gathered for a variety of events related to winter survival.  It was okay - until the snow squalls came through - it really did look like a blizzard coming through, and the temperature dropped like a rock.  The event actually ended up being called early.

We're still getting squalls with some pretty big winds...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/nurse_marcey/3.jpg

#23 2008-02-11 11:39:57

LT-1
Vertically Gifted
Website

I had to jump out of bed last night because I heard a crash in my backyard. Turns out my deck furniture was skating without permission! Bad deck furniture!

The wind was unreal at my house last night. It was worse than I've ever heard here. It sounded like a freight train coming through. . .Frankly, I'm glad it's over. It was scary.

#24 2008-02-11 23:18:40

Archer
Website

Cold milk? Anyone?

http://www.kmov.com/images2008/news/080211_snow12.jpg

#25 2008-02-12 00:34:14

"Bad News" Bob

Poor Cows!

Board footer